Looking For A New Mower - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2016, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Looking for a new mower

What is the best brand of push mowers under $200? Is briggs and stratton still a good engine?

Advertisement

Gator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Under 200 bucks you are essentially buying a disposable piece of junk so it really doesn't matter. The mower will last a couple of years . Yes Briggs still makes some decent engines but at this price point you are buying the bottom of the line Chinese engine . Look for something with at least a solid handle and mower deck. The engine whether it's a Briggs or something else will last a few years. I think you will find nearly ever mower in this range is made by a company called MTD no matter what the brand . Good walk behind mowers start at around 500 US dollars

Advertisement

jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 3,804

In that price range, I would look on Craigslist.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I can't afford that much, I'll look in craigs or similar.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
Under 200 bucks you are essentially buying a disposable piece of junk so it really doesn't matter. The mower will last a couple of years . Yes Briggs still makes some decent engines but at this price point you are buying the bottom of the line Chinese engine . Look for something with at least a solid handle and mower deck. The engine whether it's a Briggs or something else will last a few years. I think you will find nearly ever mower in this range is made by a company called MTD no matter what the brand . Good walk behind mowers start at around 500 US dollars
What parts fail first usually?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10,530

Decks rust out.
Plastic wheels break.
Buy a used one and you can expect have to to rebuild the carb. replace cables, new blades, air filter, recoil breaking.
That's some of the most common items to fail.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 834

+ 1 on opting for a good used name brand through an online site or your local paper. Perhaps a local small engine dealer has used ones - around here many do. I don't know how you can tell the difference between a US and China B&S engine but would agree in the $200 range it will be off-shore. I tend to take care of my equipment and my 1980 Lawnboy is still chugging along.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

+1 on the used. Craigslist in some areas can be a bit iffy. My local hardware store often sells trade ins and his rental stock for a good price.

As to what fails on a new 200 dollar mower, everything.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10,530

I'm always looking for deals on Craig's list even though I have way more mowers then I need.
I bought a Yazoo high wheeled self propelled for $150.00, new belts and new carb. and it runs like new and this thing is a tank.
Yazoo only made commercial equipment.
Just bought a Cub Cadet LT 1150 riding mower that came with a brand new lift to lift the front end for service for $300.00 for both because the guy was moving and it still had not sold.
New deck wheels and blades (about $50.00) and it runs and looks new.
New deck wheels, new blades

Advertisement