Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Painting Contractor

Share |

long term mower storage

I recently had back surgery, and I am contracting out my mowing for this season. I have a self propelled mower and a Stihl weedeater. Is it possible to skip this season and have my equipment function after a long period of storage(about 16 months)? What extra measures would I have to take to store them this long? Would I be better off selling them? Thanks for any help on this matter.

VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

long term mower storage

Add some StaBil or Seafoam, and run them long enough to work it into the carbs. You should be okay.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

long term mower storage

Ayuh,.... Run 'em right clean Outa gas 1st, 'n change the oil in the mower,...

That'll give ya the Best odds of survival,..
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #4

long term mower storage

i have heard stabil is crap. idk, i never use it. i'd do like bondo said ...
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #5

long term mower storage

I don't know where you heard stabil is crap but I would like to say I'm a long time user of it in everything from mowers to boats to motorcycles. We also used it in the fire service for our small engine power equipment. I have had very good luck with it with no bad results. They have newer versions out now for our present gas which has some percentage of ethanol in it. For small mowers and two stroke equipment I normally just dump out any remaining gas in the fall and refill in the spring. For any longer term storage it's not a bad idea to either pull the plug and give it a squirt of oil down the hole, turn the engine over slowly a couple times and put the plug back in. Other option is while it's running, have the air cleaner removed ahead of time and shoot some aerosol engine fogger into it till it stalls. I use the stabil in my boat tank, walk behind mower, motorcycles, and anything else that sits around that's difficult to empty the gas out of it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

long term mower storage

I'm not fond of leaving carbs dry for long periods of time. I've seen too many seals & diaphragms get dry & crack.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #7

long term mower storage

Fogging was part of the winterizing of my inboard boat engine back in the day ( when gas was cheap , ha!!).
Boat would set maybe 8 months ...couldn't tell last years stabil gas from fresh gas the next season.
Stabil/Seafoam use then both ...Eh probably more so Seafoam nowadays as it cleans the carbs and also is a decent fuel stabilizer.......( never any complaints with stabil though)....16 months?....I'm probably in the run it dry camp ...drain the fuel bowl also.

Edit: good point on the seals ...my only experience there is with a 2 cycle snowblower that I run out of gas every year ....after 21 yrs it needed new seals.

What's the max a stabilizer is good for ???

Last edited by High Gear; 04-20-2014 at 09:13 PM.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #8

long term mower storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
I don't know where you heard stabil is crap
guys in the local hot rod community. but like i said, i have never used it. just today, i started my leaf blower. it had last years fuel in it. it started just like it normally does. same for my lawnmower. i have yet to start the trimmers and chainsaw.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #9

long term mower storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
guys in the local hot rod community. but like i said, i have never used it. just today, i started my leaf blower. it had last years fuel in it. it started just like it normally does. same for my lawnmower. i have yet to start the trimmers and chainsaw.
I know how some of those guys can be. Sometimes somebody has a bad experience with something and more often than not it's operator error. Then the word gets passed around the group like a prison chain gang. The problem nowadays is the gas isn't what it used to be. You never know what you're getting half the time. What I've found is that for some reason, two stroke mix seems to last longer than straight gas. I always put fresh premium in my modern mx bikes and if it's more than a couple months old, I'll pitch it. These bikes have high compression and won't run well on stale gas.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Central State Mower,LLC

long term mower storage

For long term storage, I like to run the float & bowl type mowers completely out of gas and store. For the diaphram type carburetors, I like to use sta-bil and run it until it pulls the treated fuel into the carburetor and then store...

Hope that helps,
Mark P.
Central State Mower, LLC.

CStateMower is offline   Reply With Quote