Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #1

Share |

Lawnmower DIY Fail

Hi All,

I would ask you exercise mercy on my stupidity in this matter, it was my first time doing any of this, I tried to do it after a 10 hour day at work, and didn't have the instruction manual on me, I read it online earlier in the day.

Long story short, my Kohler Courage XT engine on my lawn boy self propelled mower (model 10604) reccomended that I put an ounce of oil in the engine via the spark plug hole for storage. I read this as part of the "bringing out of storage" instructions. So here's what happened:

I did all the other maintenance (sharpened blade, changed oil, cleaned air filter, changed spark plug) gassed up the mower, started it up, and obviously, tons of blue smoke came billowing out of the exhaust. Totally confused, I let it run for about a minute, before common sense and logic took over (WHY DID I POUR OIL IN THE CYLINDER??).

Do I need to do anything other than take the spark plug out again and pull the starter cord about 10 times to push the remaining oil out? Did I ruin my brand new lawn mower??

teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Lawnmower DIY Fail

Just let it run awhile longer. It'll smoke all the skeeters out of your neighborhood, and make your neighbors wonder what you're doing. But after another minute or two, it'll be fine.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-11-2012), Evstarr (04-10-2012), teamcampreder (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #3

Lawnmower DIY Fail

So I don't need to get too concerned with deposits from the oil on the cylinder, piston, or spark plug? Whew
Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #4

Lawnmower DIY Fail

No harm, no foul. The oil will burn off. The oil installed at storage time keeps rust from forming in the cylinder, keeps the rings from sticking, and scares the crap out of you on startup.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packer_rich For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (04-10-2012), teamcampreder (04-10-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Lawnmower DIY Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcampreder View Post
So I don't need to get too concerned with deposits from the oil on the cylinder, piston, or spark plug? Whew
You may have to clean and gap the plug again to be safe but that is no big deal.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #6

Lawnmower DIY Fail

Next time use Fogging oil instead.
All oil does is lay in the low areas.
Fogging oil will add a protective layer of oil to the whole cylinder, piston and the rings.
And it smokes less on start up.

If you just shot some oil in the hole and did not at some point remove the plug wire and pull the starter over a few times during the time it was stored the oil would just lay around on the top ring and not protect the cylinder walls.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...ne+fogging+oil

Last edited by joecaption; 04-11-2012 at 06:47 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #7

Lawnmower DIY Fail

Thanks for the heads up on the fog oil, will definitely try that at the end of the season.

FWIW I did do the oil, replace the spark plug w/o the wire, and pull the starter about 5 times, but the problem was then I promptly started the engine lol.

The mower is running great now, so I guess I am ok