Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Share |

lawn mower will not start

I have a Bolens push mower that will not start. If I put gas directly in the carburator it will start and run. It just won't prime with the primer bulb. I replaced the spark plug, air filter, primer bulb, gasket between the carb and block, and the gasket between the carb and air filter. I am at a loss sa what else to try. Anybody have any suggestions?

keiff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #2

Take the carb apart and clean.

rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #3

And he does not mean just blow it out with some air.
Go buy yourself a can of carb. cleaner.
If it was mine I would buy a whole carb. rebuild kit since you already have it all apart anyway.
jmon (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #4

could be just a plugged gas line or filter.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Use Sea Foam in the Gas line and in the Carb. That should get rid of any varnish.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (05-27-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 03:51 AM   #6

Sometimes primer bulbs don't function because the instructions for their use aren't read and / or understood. This is good example of - some times good things just take a little longer - . Pushing the bulb 3 times in one and one half seconds usually doesn't get it.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiff23 View Post
I have a Bolens push mower that will not start. If I put gas directly in the carburator it will start and run. It just won't prime with the primer bulb. I replaced the spark plug, air filter, primer bulb, gasket between the carb and block, and the gasket between the carb and air filter. I am at a loss sa what else to try. Anybody have any suggestions?
check the small gas line's for a crack, that is what i would look for, their are i would guess 3 lines or 2 which ever one line is just a over flow when you push the bulb gas will flow back into the tank check them good luck all those thing's you done were good but uncessary , still doesn't work, if the bulb doesn't get gas in it than stop check what i said above
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiff23 View Post
In addition to what these other guys have mentioned, I'd suggest you look the primer bulb over VERY carefully. The "clear" ones develop hairline cracks within a few years, which causes them to leak just enough air to cause all kinds of problems.

The good news is that replacements are pretty cheap to buy, and easy to replace.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote