Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #1

Share |

Lawn Mower Question - Push or Riding?

Do you think a 6HP, self-propelled Craftsman lawn mower is sufficient for a yard that is a little less than 1 acre total?

I like the cut and accuracy of a "push mower" as opposed to a riding lawn mower. Anyone know how much time it would take to mow using the push mower, am I out of line in this thinking?

Thanks
cbarr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Jack of all - master none

The standard Craftsman self-propelled is 22" wide and runs at about 2.5mph. Using that, you are cutting 402.6 square feet per minute. Assuming you never slow down, and never overlap any cut passes, it will take you 108 minutes to cut one full acre.

A 42" riding mower, moving at 4mph will cut 1,232 sqft per minute. That will take 35 minutes to cut a full acre, with the same assumptions.

If you cut twice a week, for half a year you would spend 30 hours on the riding mower or 94 hours with the self-propelled. How much is your time worth?
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #3

My yard is one acre but I only have to cut maybe 2/3 of it... I'd never dream of doing it by push mower, you'd be out there for ages! Get a decent mower for about a grand. Time is money.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

And think about reducing the amount of turf you have and growing groundcovers or other alternatives. Turf is one of the most time consuming and expensive landscape elements to maintain.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
My yard is one acre but I only have to cut maybe 2/3 of it... I'd never dream of doing it by push mower, you'd be out there for ages!
Preach it!
Quote:
Get a decent mower for about a grand. Time is money.
or even better...
get one used for about $350... and learn what you really like/don't
before shelling out the serious money a real nice mower will cost.

The BASIC Craftsman LT continues to be the best value (even new).
You can spend more but you really won't get more...
and certainly not in proportion to that greater cost.
Attached Images

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #6

I didn't run the math, but having mowed enough lawn with both types of mowers, I agree that Hyunelan2 has given you some pretty close estimates. Along with what sdsester said about ground covers, etc, you also want to look at whatever features you may have in your lawn before deciding on a mower. For a relatively open lawn, it's hard to beat the value of something like Tarheelterp posted. On the other hand, if you have a lot of trees, bushes, bird baths, or whatever, going back and forth to get around them can add quite a bit of time, as well as scuff the lawn, in which case you may want to look at one of the smaller zero turn type mowers. And, if you do have features like that, this is where ground covers, mulch, etc can be particularly helpful, because the larger the radius that you have to cut around, the less damage you will have to your lawn, and the sooner you can move onto the next project.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
...because the larger the radius that you have to cut around, the less damage you will have to your lawn...
I've mentioned this before but as it's springtime it bears repeating:
Run your lawn tractor in low gear and then proceed around the perimeter
of your lot and especially around any of these tight spots you may have.

Don't make any special efforts to be super neat and don't back up...
just slow and steady.

Any part of your lawn which didn't get mowed becomes additional
border/flower bed... or falls within the domain of the weed wacker.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #8

Thanks guys, this place is awesome.
cbarr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
It's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
The standard Craftsman self-propelled is 22" wide and runs at about 2.5mph. Using that, you are cutting 402.6 square feet per minute. Assuming you never slow down, and never overlap any cut passes, it will take you 108 minutes to cut one full acre.

A 42" riding mower, moving at 4mph will cut 1,232 sqft per minute. That will take 35 minutes to cut a full acre, with the same assumptions.

If you cut twice a week, for half a year you would spend 30 hours on the riding mower or 94 hours with the self-propelled. How much is your time worth?
You just blew my mind...
SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SingleGuy For This Useful Post:
TarheelTerp (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #10

Id get a small cheap push mower for the outlining of your property, and then get a decent riding mower for the normal mowing. I've owned Craftsman, Poulan, Toro, and John Deeres, and nothing compares to the JDs. Dont get the big box riding mowers, go up a level from big box models from a regular dealership. It will be worth the extra money in the long run. If you go up to a garden tractor theres usually attachments as well such as tillers, snow throwers, dirt blades, etc. Do some research and then start pricing. Dont be afraid of getting a well maintained quality mower either. Theyre often cheaper and will still have many years of service left. Then again, if you just want a quick, cheap cut, look at craigslist ads as theres countless old riding mowers out there.
Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarr81 View Post
Do you think a 6HP, self-propelled Craftsman lawn mower is sufficient for a yard that is a little less than 1 acre total?

I like the cut and accuracy of a "push mower" as opposed to a riding lawn mower. Anyone know how much time it would take to mow using the push mower, am I out of line in this thinking?

Thanks
My/our house is on a roughly 1 acre lot. I have a John Deere lawn tractor, with a 48" deck (left over from lawn-care service days). I also have a 22" push mower.

Sometimes, just for the sake of exercise, I mow it with the little push mower. It takes me 2+ hours, which does not include trimming. It is a pain in the butt.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #12

i have a 2011 troy-bilt ztr riding mower with a 25 horse kohler engine was mowing yard with it last week & electric pto just stopped turning blades any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated thanx
fpreuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpreuett View Post
i have a 2011 troy-bilt ztr riding mower with a 25 horse kohler engine was mowing yard with it last week & electric pto just stopped turning blades any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated thanx
If it's just the blades that stopped spinning, the first thing I'd check is your PTO Switch. It gets more involved, and more expensive, from there.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #14

Who is doing the mowing?

Yard is flat, maybe 3/4 acre of mowing. I haven't mowed in 20 years and am almost 40 now and will not ever mow another yard in my life. Ever.

My nephew push mows it. Takes him around an hour. It costs me nothing. My girlfriend had to buy the mower or the grass would still be growing.
saladdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
gravity always wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarr81 View Post

Thanks
The proper, good quality riding mower will produce a cut on par with a push mower. Push mow almost an acre of grass? Not in this lifetime!!
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote