Help Save This Battery - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,008

Help Save this Battery

I have a 1994 MTD (Lowes) riding mower. 14 HP, 42" cut.

I bought a new battery yesterday and want to make sure everything is working well. The mower starts with ease.

I want to verify the battery is being charged when the mower is running.

I measured the voltage at the battery with the mower off and on.
The voltage difference was minimal.

Is this because the battery is at full charge?

I was looking for a couple more volts while running?

I want to make sure the battery will serve me well and the mower is indeed providing a sufficient charge.

Thanks John

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Help Save this Battery

Ayuh,.... The battery voltage should show 'bout 12 volts sittin', 'n 'bout 13.6 volts with the motor runnin', if it's chargin'...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Help Save this Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... The battery voltage should show 'bout 12 volts sittin', 'n 'bout 13.6 volts with the motor runnin', if it's chargin'...
I got almost 13 VDC sitting and 13.8 VDC running.

Seems a fully charged new battery would not see a large difference in voltage as the battery is already charged fully.

Lets take this one step further.
I have located the connector that has two wires coming from under the flywheel. These are the wires that charge the battery.
A yellow goes to the line side of the solenoid, (direct shot to positive battery terminal) the white I am not sure where it goes but I can find out.

If I were to disconnect this connector and put a meter across these two charging wires with the engine running, what voltage should I be reading?
This would be a "no battery" reading. Directly from the motors charging output wires.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,650

Help Save this Battery

Put a load on the battery for a few seconds by cranking it 10 seconds with the ignition switch off then repeat for another 10 seconds after waiting about a minute . Now check the differential voltage again . You'll probably like that difference better and quit worrying about things that don't need to be worried about .
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Help Save this Battery

If it when up nearly 1 volt from not running to running, it's likely charging. There is nothing else to make the voltage go up...
Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 608

Help Save this Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
'bout 12 volts sittin'
Thats what I thought too, so I looked it up in Wikipedia, and a charged lead-acid battery will actually make 12.6 v sitting (2.105 volts per cell)

If the voltage while running is more than that, power will flow into the battery and charge it up. I think you are fine.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Help Save this Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
I got almost 13 VDC sitting and 13.8 VDC running.

Seems a fully charged new battery would not see a large difference in voltage as the battery is already charged fully.

Lets take this one step further.
I have located the connector that has two wires coming from under the flywheel. These are the wires that charge the battery.
A yellow goes to the line side of the solenoid, (direct shot to positive battery terminal) the white I am not sure where it goes but I can find out.

If I were to disconnect this connector and put a meter across these two charging wires with the engine running, what voltage should I be reading?
This would be a "no battery" reading. Directly from the motors charging output wires.
It is charging.....if not, then the run voltage would be the same or slightly less. Your over thinking this....go cut the grass.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Help Save this Battery

Pick up a can of CRC QD contact cleaner, unplug all your electrical connection plugs and spray and wire brush them spray again and plug back in. A lot of crap gets in those plugs over time.

Advertisement

Last edited by jagans; 04-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote