Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Gravely walk behind commercial mower

Here is my latest "what have I done". I just acquired this gravely walk behind mower. It is big and awesome...cept it may or may not run. I acquired it from a guy who said it has been sitting for at least 6 years and isnt sure if there was anything wrong with it at that point. he had gotten a new Exmark and just had this as a spare. After sitting it got buried in the garage and never used.
Anybody have a mower like this that could give me any pointers? It is a Gravely Pro-300 Hydro. With a 50" mower. The battery is dead. After the weekend I plan to change the oil, plug, and battery and see if it will run. It is a 16 hp Briggs/stratton. Anyone know where I can find a manual?
It is missing something on nthe right hand grip. 2 wires come out but attach to nothing. Dont know what is sposed to be there!?????

Any help or pointers?
Attached Thumbnails
Gravely walk behind commercial mower-hpim1272.jpg   Gravely walk behind commercial mower-hpim1275.jpg   Gravely walk behind commercial mower-hpim1276.jpg   Gravely walk behind commercial mower-hpim1277.jpg  

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

right now I need to know what to use for hydraulic fliud. I knw on skidsteers tehy say tranny fluid can be used. anyone have suggestions on hydraulic fluid for the gravely?

also anyone know where I can find front wheels for this. they are solid but both have some chuncks out fo the sides. still nice and round and roll ok though
thanks again

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by What have I done View Post
Here is my latest "what have I done". I just acquired this gravely walk behind mower. It is big and awesome...cept it may or may not run. I acquired it from a guy who said it has been sitting for at least 6 years and isnt sure if there was anything wrong with it at that point. he had gotten a new Exmark and just had this as a spare. After sitting it got buried in the garage and never used.
Anybody have a mower like this that could give me any pointers? It is a Gravely Pro-300 Hydro. With a 50" mower. The battery is dead. After the weekend I plan to change the oil, plug, and battery and see if it will run. It is a 16 hp Briggs/stratton. Anyone know where I can find a manual?
It is missing something on nthe right hand grip. 2 wires come out but attach to nothing. Dont know what is sposed to be there!?????

Any help or pointers?
I have one just like it except yours is in far better condition. I have been undoing all the jury rigging the previous owner did to it.
The wiring on mine caught fire and I had to rewire the whole thing. I disabled all the safety switches. The two wires from the hand grip is a dead man's switch, I think. All the safety switches go into a relay or something under the control panel.
Mine is finally functional but there is always some little thing happening to it when I use it. When it runs, it runs and cuts great. I love it. I'll be happy when all the bugs are out of it.
2much2mow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,054

Write down the tire size and check on Northern Tools web site for some tires.
Plan on a complete rebuild on the carb.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

Yes, I could use new tires. Northern Tools, huh? Never thought of them for tires but I'll have a look at them.
Daggone rebuild kit for that carburetor is $125! Heck, I've rebuilt auto four barrels for less. I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a kit for it but it just galls me to have to pay so much for a stinking kit.
Right now I can't get it to track straight. I have to hold the left lever in a bit and after 15 minutes of that I'm ready for a break. I believe the problem is the pump actuator and I ordered a new one. Looks like the bottom broke and the previous owner somehow screwed a machine screw through it somehow. I haven't taken it off yet because the machine is usable as is and I'm in the process of rebuilding the carb on my back up machine so I need it to keep running for a bit.
Once I get it installed how do I adjust the tracking?
And any idea on how to adjust neutral?
I can't find a service manual or owner's manual for it because I don't know the serial number. I just found out today what model it is by sending pictures to Gravely support. I cannot find a serial number on it, though, and Gravel Manual look up insists on a serial number.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

That is one monster you got, how much grass do you have to cut and how often?

Sent from my iPhone.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #7

I can't remember exactly but me and a friend figured it out to be around 4 1/2 plus I do a friends 1 acre lot.
How often? Jeez, sometimes it seems like that's all I do is cut the grass. I'd say I cut at the least once a week. The road front property gets cut 2-3 times a week.
The property is 10+ acres. A little less than half is wooded/wetland. There is a 280'x50' building, a tiny little house and of course the driveways.
I use to cut it with a Craftsman 18hp garden tractor with a 44" deck. It did the job but it took a long time and I would smoke too many cigarettes cutting the grass.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,762

Moved to Tractors and Mowers forum.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote