Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Roofmaster

Share |

Good Advice

My neighbor just got a new ZTR. Prior to that he owned a nice John Deere Tractor. High end. He wore it out. Back then all the neighbors called him the Lawn Nazi. Now we call him the Lawn Nazi +. Last week he literally cut his lawn every day. and one day he cut it in the morning and then again at night. He is probably largely responsible for global warming, and has a carbon foot print the size of Godzilla's foot. The amazing part of this is that he works for a landscaping firm, in the office. Why am I posting this? In the hope that some of the Lawn Nazi's will read it. By the way my neighbor is a really nice guy, hes just a little obsessed.

The following opinion is not mine, its an expert opinion but I know it to be true, because an old timer told me about it many years ago, and my lawn looks better than my neighbors, and he puts all kind of stuff on his, and I put nothing on mine. His turns brown three weeks before mine in the summer.

Unlike a short haircut in the summertime, keeping your lawn high and tight won't keep it cool and comfortable. Although you might be tempted to cut your lawn short like greens of a golf course, you shouldn't. In fact, cutting your grass too short can damage the soil and the grass itself.

By cutting grass too short, you remove a good portion of the blade. This is where photosynthesis occurs, which produces root and shoot growth. Grass that's too short also struggles to fight and defend against weeds, making your lawn susceptible to overgrowth.

Also, when you cut grass too short, the sun has easier access to the soil. In turn, it dries out the soil faster, making it a less-than-ideal environment for living, growing things.

How High Should I Cut My Grass?

It might not seem as efficient, but you should mow your lawn as close to high as possible. This is typically between 3-3.5 inches. ( Thats a 2 x 4 on edge. I do close to three) The good news is most newer mowers have easy-to-use variable height adjustments so raising or lowering your blade or deck is simple.

Taller grass has more leaf blade which is crucial for a healthy, resilient lawn. Longer leaf blades means more photosynthesis for the grass. In turn, this makes the grass healthier, and more capable of fighting disease and invasive weeds.

The easiest way to make your lawn healthier and look better is to mow the grass higher. As a rule of thumb, never cut more than 1/3 of the grass at once.

Thanks to Power Equipment Direct

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Good Advice

Good advice except for those breeds of turf that are low growing and need tight to the ground mowing---bermuda for example.

I will also add that you should water lawns early in the day enough that the grass can dry out before sunset. Damp grass overnight just begs for insects to lay eggs and disease spores to get a foothold.

And the best defense against bugs, disease and even weeds is regular feeding.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote