Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
ARB
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Engine Failure!


Hey all,

After being serviced last year, my 7-year old Troy-Bilt push mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine has been running great... Start with a single pull, etc. Today, after a few minutes of mowing, the engine seemed to slow down a bit for a few seconds but then it seemed OK. Then, a few minutes later, it abruptly seized and the blade fell off (along with the thing that hold the blade on...it was if it had simply come loose).

I went to put the blade back on, and I noticed that the two little things that hold the blade in position (sorry for not knowing the names of all the parts) were, for the most part, sheared off. I figured I'd try to see if I can get the blade secure enough to finish the lawn and then I'll replace that part another time.

After securing the blade back on, I go to pull the cord... It pulls a little and then stops abruptly. I turned it over and tried turning the blade by hand and get the same result... It stops as if something inside the engine is hitting something. When I turn the blade the other way, it goes a little ways and then abruptly stops again. (It turns about about 60 degrees shy of one complete rotation.) It appears that something inside the engine has broken and is preventing the engine from cranking. I'm not going to have time to pull the engine apart until next weekend, but any guess as to what it might be? Any chance that I won't need to get a new lawn mower? (BTW, I checked the oil... It was a little low not dry or alarmingly low.)

Thanks!

ARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,357
Rewards Points: 34
Default

Engine Failure!


Take spark plug out and try to pull it over.
Remove the cover on the pull start and see if the key for the flywheel has sheared.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
ARB
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Engine Failure!


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Take spark plug out and try to pull it over.
Remove the cover on the pull start and see if the key for the flywheel has sheared.
Thanks, I'll check it out next weekend... Can a sheared flywheel key cause symptoms this severe, though?
ARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,396
Rewards Points: 8
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Engine Failure!


My guess would be a broken rod or a busted piston.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,357
Rewards Points: 34
Default

Engine Failure!


Not likly but it's free to check.
What I was hoping was it was throwing off the timing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: port st lucie, florida
Posts: 444
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Engine Failure!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB View Post
Hey all,

After being serviced last year, my 7-year old Troy-Bilt push mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine has been running great... Start with a single pull, etc. Today, after a few minutes of mowing, the engine seemed to slow down a bit for a few seconds but then it seemed OK. Then, a few minutes later, it abruptly seized and the blade fell off (along with the thing that hold the blade on...it was if it had simply come loose).

I went to put the blade back on, and I noticed that the two little things that hold the blade in position (sorry for not knowing the names of all the parts) were, for the most part, sheared off. I figured I'd try to see if I can get the blade secure enough to finish the lawn and then I'll replace that part another time.

After securing the blade back on, I go to pull the cord... It pulls a little and then stops abruptly. I turned it over and tried turning the blade by hand and get the same result... It stops as if something inside the engine is hitting something. When I turn the blade the other way, it goes a little ways and then abruptly stops again. (It turns about about 60 degrees shy of one complete rotation.) It appears that something inside the engine has broken and is preventing the engine from cranking. I'm not going to have time to pull the engine apart until next weekend, but any guess as to what it might be? Any chance that I won't need to get a new lawn mower? (BTW, I checked the oil... It was a little low not dry or alarmingly low.)

Thanks!
sound's like the rod is broken. that hold's the piston and is conected to the crank shaft. That would only let you turn tell it hit the broken rod in both direction's . good luck
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
ARB
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Engine Failure!


Thanks for all the replies thus far... If it does end up being a broken rod, will I probably find other collateral damage as well, or is there a decent chance that I could pop in a new rod and be good to go?
ARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: port st lucie, florida
Posts: 444
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Engine Failure!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB View Post
Thanks for all the replies thus far... If it does end up being a broken rod, will I probably find other collateral damage as well, or is there a decent chance that I could pop in a new rod and be good to go?
won't be able to tell you take it apart. It could score the rod journal or even bend rod?? if it was running slow you may be ok. if running wide open than different story . good luck
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,144
Rewards Points: 4
Default

Engine Failure!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB View Post
Thanks for all the replies thus far... If it does end up being a broken rod, will I probably find other collateral damage as well, or is there a decent chance that I could pop in a new rod and be good to go?
My experience with small engines leads me to two conclusions:
1. Most likely - as others have said - you've got a broken piston rod. It was just time, and there's not much you can do about it.
2. It is definitely NOT worth trying to rebuild the engine, even if you can find parts. Being a push mower, it's probably not more than about a 5 hp vertical shaft engine. You can buy new engines fairly cheap.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
ARB
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Engine Failure!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks
My experience with small engines leads me to two conclusions:
1. Most likely - as others have said - you've got a broken piston rod. It was just time, and there's not much you can do about it.
2. It is definitely NOT worth trying to rebuild the engine, even if you can find parts. Being a push mower, it's probably not more than about a 5 hp vertical shaft engine. You can buy new engines fairly cheap.
Thanks for tbe insight... Curious though: if it is, in fact, a broken piston rod, are you saying that the repair would likely involve a lot more than simply replacing that one part?
ARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,144
Rewards Points: 4
Default

Engine Failure!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB View Post
Thanks for tbe insight... Curious though: if it is, in fact, a broken piston rod, are you saying that the repair would likely involve a lot more than simply replacing that one part?
Absolutely!

A broken piston rod is almost sure to be the result of "bearing" failure on the crankshaft. Lack of lubrication led to overheating which led to melting the rod. For sure, your crankshaft would need to be replaced (truing the journals is not feasible). Also, the crankshaft carriers are almost certainly damaged. And it's entirely possible that the breaking piston rod cracked the "block" of the engine.

In addition, even if you were to get it fixed, you've still got an older used engine.


Can you give us a make & model number for that engine? Horsepower, etc.? Thanks!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,396
Rewards Points: 8
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Engine Failure!


Just a guess, but I would say the engine was running pretty high RPMs if the blade sheared the pins and the blade spun off. I would say the inside of the engine is damaged to the point of not being able to repair or not worth repairing.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
ARB
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Engine Failure!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Absolutely!

A broken piston rod is almost sure to be the result of "bearing" failure on the crankshaft. Lack of lubrication led to overheating which led to melting the rod. For sure, your crankshaft would need to be replaced (truing the journals is not feasible). Also, the crankshaft carriers are almost certainly damaged. And it's entirely possible that the breaking piston rod cracked the "block" of the engine.

In addition, even if you were to get it fixed, you've still got an older used engine.


Can you give us a make & model number for that engine? Horsepower, etc.? Thanks!
Hey Doc,

It's a Briggs & Stratton 125K02-0281-E1. I believe it's 6.75 HP.

OK, so I get that I shouldn't attempt to repair it. What would you suggest? Should I buy a new short block? An entire new engine? (An entire new mower?! )

Thanks again for your (and everyone's) help!
ARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,144
Rewards Points: 4
Default

Engine Failure!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB View Post
Hey Doc,

It's a Briggs & Stratton 125K02-0281-E1. I believe it's 6.75 HP.

OK, so I get that I shouldn't attempt to repair it. What would you suggest? Should I buy a new short block? An entire new engine? (An entire new mower?! )

Thanks again for your (and everyone's) help!
Does this engine look like yours?
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...e%20for%20Toro

If that's the one, it's $120 through that internet outlet place - which means you could probably get it somewhere local for about $150.

If it were my mower, and I wanted to keep using the mower itself, I'd get an all new engine. Don't even mess with any of the parts of the old one.

Then... I'd tear the old engine apart, because my curiosity would not allow me to leave it in one piece!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #15
ARB
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Engine Failure!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks
Does this engine look like yours?
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...e%20for%20Toro

If that's the one, it's $120 through that internet outlet place - which means you could probably get it somewhere local for about $150.

If it were my mower, and I wanted to keep using the mower itself, I'd get an all new engine. Don't even mess with any of the parts of the old one.

Then... I'd tear the old engine apart, because my curiosity would not allow me to leave it in one piece!
Makes sense... At that price, an entire engine is barely more than the cost of a short block...

Not sure if that's the *exact* one in the link, but it's certainly very similar... This one is 6 hp and has a tapped hole for Toro, whereas mine's 6.75 hp and is on a Troy-Bilt. Will check it out... Thank you again!

ARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Synthetic oil changes leonuug Automotive Repairs 29 03-18-2012 05:49 PM
Snow thrower engine problem KE2KB Automotive Repairs 19 11-22-2011 12:16 PM
Snowblower engine problem TKE174NH General DIY Discussions 2 12-15-2009 08:18 AM
Engine Slowly Loses Power and Dies While Driving slickshift Automotive Repairs 16 01-15-2007 11:34 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.