Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Echo SRM-225 won't start

It was new last season... used 2-3 times last season with a 50:1 mix of fresh fuel that had been treated with stabil. After each use I would drain the fuel from the tank and let it run until it would die.

This season it doesn't want to start...
- Set Run/Stop switch to Run
- Set Choke to "Start"
- Primer bulb until filled, then another 4-5 pumps

My first attempt I made a mistake, I didn't hold down the throttle while pulling, this was about a dozen pulls...

Then I remembered the throttle... did another two dozen pulls... no start.

Pulled the plug, appeared wet... I flooded it. While the plug is out, I double check and see that I am getting blue spark on the plug. I wait 15 mins w/ the plug out, give it a spritz of starting fluid while the plug is out... try again..... a dozen pulls nothing, plug it wet again... so wet that it's closing the gap.

What am I doing wrong, or what could be wrong?

Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #2

Echo SRM-225 won't start

BTW, air cleaner is pristine, and I've even tried starting w/ the cover off...

Also tried a dozen pulls w/ throttle closed and choke set to Run, which I thought might help clear the flood.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,028

Echo SRM-225 won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbler View Post
BTW, air cleaner is pristine, and I've even tried starting w/ the cover off...

Also tried a dozen pulls w/ throttle closed and choke set to Run, which I thought might help clear the flood.

Do you have the stop switch in the start position??
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Sparky

Rewards Points: 500

Echo SRM-225 won't start

Try priming until full, then only one more.

Make sure the Choke is set, and the throttle is open
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #5

Echo SRM-225 won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Do you have the stop switch in the start position??
Yes, that's listed above where I say the Run/Start switch is set to Run.

I also mentioned that I am getting a spark, if the switch were not working I would not get spark.

As of tonight I am still not able to start the bloody thing... fresh gas... checked the plug again, I even cleaned and re-gapped it (the thing is basically perfect, no corrosion, etc).

Tomorrow I will try one last thing---give it a shot of ether directly into the plug hole w/o priming or doing anything else... if I can't get it to at least SPUTTER from doing that, then I'm going to call this thing dead and assuming something internal has failed.

I just hope that either Echo or Home Depot will provide the repair or replacement w/o hassling me.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #6

Echo SRM-225 won't start

Quote:
Yes, that's listed above where I say the Run/Start switch is set to Run.

I also mentioned that I am getting a spark, if the switch were not working I would not get spark.

As of tonight I am still not able to start the bloody thing... fresh gas... checked the plug again, I even cleaned and re-gapped it (the thing is basically perfect, no corrosion, etc).

Tomorrow I will try one last thing---give it a shot of ether directly into the plug hole w/o priming or doing anything else... if I can't get it to at least SPUTTER from doing that, then I'm going to call this thing dead and assuming something internal has failed.

I just hope that either Echo or Home Depot will provide the repair or replacement w/o hassling me.

It has a 5 year warrenty,so just take it to an approved repair facility with a receipt of purchase and have them fix it.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

Echo SRM-225 won't start

I would check to make sure the choke is closing completely. Just pull off the air cleaner & filters, and ensure that the choke is operating fully. I had this issue this spring with my 210, and it wouldn't start no matter what I tried. Clearing the choke linkage did the trick.

As for the ether, I wouldn't suggest using it anymore. It's extremely hard on small two-stroke cylinders......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #8

Echo SRM-225 won't start

I posted here about a million years ago with a no-start issue with the trimmer.

I notice the thread comes up with google search, but the solution was never put in the thread, so I want to do it for future searchers with the same problem--

This is the start-up process that works--it is NOT the same as what's in the manual:
1) Prime until you see gas, no air pockets, in the return fuel line
2) Prime another 4-5X
3) Set Run/Stop switch to RUN
4) Set Choke lever to START
5) DO NOT DEPRESS THE THROTTLE
6) Pull cord 1-5X until you hear it stumble
7) Immediately set Choke lever to RUN
8) If engine dies, pull cord again 1-5X

Once running you may need to fiddle with the choke for the first few moments to keep it running, but ultimately need to end up in RUN. Goose the throttle a bit to get it going, then it should idle without any throttle.

This has worked for me multiple times. If you watch the youtube videos of people doing "cold starts" you will see this what they all do, even if they don't always narrate it quite the same.

The manual tells you to put the throttle on full, that seems wrong and never worked for me over an entire summer of failed start attempts.

The manual also does not indicate that once you get a "stumble" out of it you should quickly switch Choke to RUN and pull some more.

I was ready to throw this trimmer in a junk pile I was so fed up with it not starting... I had put in new gas, new plug, etc... tried to start it at least half a dozen times on as many occasions and never got it going until after watching the way the youtube guys were doing it.
EchoMakeMeCrazy (06-07-2014)
Old 09-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

Echo SRM-225 won't start

Quote:

I notice the thread comes up with google search, but the solution was never put in the thread, so I want to do it for future searchers with the same problem--

This is the start-up process that works--it is NOT the same as what's in the manual:
2) Prime another 4-5X

Once running you may need to fiddle with the choke for the first few moments to keep it running, but ultimately need to end up in RUN. Goose the throttle a bit to get it going, then it should idle without any throttle.

This has worked for me multiple times. If you watch the youtube videos of people doing "cold starts" you will see this what they all do, even if they don't always narrate it quite the same.

The manual tells you to put the throttle on full, that seems wrong and never worked for me over an entire summer of failed start attempts.

The manual also does not indicate that once you get a "stumble" out of it you should quickly switch Choke to RUN and pull some more.

I was ready to throw this trimmer in a junk pile I was so fed up with it not starting... I had put in new gas, new plug, etc... tried to start it at least half a dozen times on as many occasions and never got it going until after watching the way the youtube guys were doing it.

Well,i have the same machine and my starting sequence is set choke to start, push primer bulb 6 times,pull starter 3 times max with throttle depressed,if no start move choke to run, pull starter once and it always starts.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Echo SRM-225 won't start

check that the flywheel and clutch haven't come loose we had same problem with echo gt 225 and checked everything or so we thought and were about to give up and chuck in river when we began a dismantle reassembly of it and found that clutch and flywheel were loose. tightened up and now runs fine this is a defect or lack of care from factory.
surfer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #11

Echo SRM-225 won't start

and yes we did all recommended checks and replacements. this was problem nothing else.
surfer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #12

Echo SRM-225 won't start

Quote:

2) Prime another 4-5X

Not satisfied with the Echo. First year it ran okay. The next year it wouldn't start, I was going take it back for service, but then it finally started after a few weeks, and ran the rest of the summer. Last year started right up and ran okay. This year it started right up, but just chugged along. It shut off and wouldn't start. If I shoot ether in it, it will run a second. Primer bubble works fine. So I pulled the carburetor off took it apart and soaked it in carburetor cleaner. Put back together and it acted the same. I will try your start procedure tomorrow but I don't have any faith, but I sure hope it will start.

In the meantime I have been using a Bolens BL001, that I paid $59.00. Starts every year and runs like a charm. It is just too small for all the trimming I need to do. The only maintenance on the Bolens is crumbled fuel line.
EchoMakeMeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 544

Echo SRM-225 won't start

Have you changed the fuel filter?