Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Member
 
bubbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Shore MA
Posts: 481
Share |
Default

Echo SRM-225 won't start


It was new last season... used 2-3 times last season with a 50:1 mix of fresh fuel that had been treated with stabil. After each use I would drain the fuel from the tank and let it run until it would die.

This season it doesn't want to start...
- Set Run/Stop switch to Run
- Set Choke to "Start"
- Primer bulb until filled, then another 4-5 pumps

My first attempt I made a mistake, I didn't hold down the throttle while pulling, this was about a dozen pulls...

Then I remembered the throttle... did another two dozen pulls... no start.

Pulled the plug, appeared wet... I flooded it. While the plug is out, I double check and see that I am getting blue spark on the plug. I wait 15 mins w/ the plug out, give it a spritz of starting fluid while the plug is out... try again..... a dozen pulls nothing, plug it wet again... so wet that it's closing the gap.

What am I doing wrong, or what could be wrong?
__________________
My advice is based on anecdotal knowledge or personal experience. I'm not a professional no matter how matter of factly I may say something
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Member
 
bubbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Shore MA
Posts: 481
Default

Echo SRM-225 won't start


BTW, air cleaner is pristine, and I've even tried starting w/ the cover off...

Also tried a dozen pulls w/ throttle closed and choke set to Run, which I thought might help clear the flood.
__________________
My advice is based on anecdotal knowledge or personal experience. I'm not a professional no matter how matter of factly I may say something
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,293
Default

Echo SRM-225 won't start


Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbler View Post
BTW, air cleaner is pristine, and I've even tried starting w/ the cover off...

Also tried a dozen pulls w/ throttle closed and choke set to Run, which I thought might help clear the flood.

Do you have the stop switch in the start position??
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Sparky
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 684
Default

Echo SRM-225 won't start


Try priming until full, then only one more.

Make sure the Choke is set, and the throttle is open
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Member
 
bubbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Shore MA
Posts: 481
Default

Echo SRM-225 won't start


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Do you have the stop switch in the start position??
Yes, that's listed above where I say the Run/Start switch is set to Run.

I also mentioned that I am getting a spark, if the switch were not working I would not get spark.

As of tonight I am still not able to start the bloody thing... fresh gas... checked the plug again, I even cleaned and re-gapped it (the thing is basically perfect, no corrosion, etc).

Tomorrow I will try one last thing---give it a shot of ether directly into the plug hole w/o priming or doing anything else... if I can't get it to at least SPUTTER from doing that, then I'm going to call this thing dead and assuming something internal has failed.

I just hope that either Echo or Home Depot will provide the repair or replacement w/o hassling me.
__________________
My advice is based on anecdotal knowledge or personal experience. I'm not a professional no matter how matter of factly I may say something
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,293
Default

Echo SRM-225 won't start


Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbler View Post
Yes, that's listed above where I say the Run/Start switch is set to Run.

I also mentioned that I am getting a spark, if the switch were not working I would not get spark.

As of tonight I am still not able to start the bloody thing... fresh gas... checked the plug again, I even cleaned and re-gapped it (the thing is basically perfect, no corrosion, etc).

Tomorrow I will try one last thing---give it a shot of ether directly into the plug hole w/o priming or doing anything else... if I can't get it to at least SPUTTER from doing that, then I'm going to call this thing dead and assuming something internal has failed.

I just hope that either Echo or Home Depot will provide the repair or replacement w/o hassling me.

It has a 5 year warrenty,so just take it to an approved repair facility with a receipt of purchase and have them fix it.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,557
Default

Echo SRM-225 won't start


I would check to make sure the choke is closing completely. Just pull off the air cleaner & filters, and ensure that the choke is operating fully. I had this issue this spring with my 210, and it wouldn't start no matter what I tried. Clearing the choke linkage did the trick.

As for the ether, I wouldn't suggest using it anymore. It's extremely hard on small two-stroke cylinders......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Member
 
bubbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Shore MA
Posts: 481
Default

Echo SRM-225 won't start


I posted here about a million years ago with a no-start issue with the trimmer.

I notice the thread comes up with google search, but the solution was never put in the thread, so I want to do it for future searchers with the same problem--

This is the start-up process that works--it is NOT the same as what's in the manual:
1) Prime until you see gas, no air pockets, in the return fuel line
2) Prime another 4-5X
3) Set Run/Stop switch to RUN
4) Set Choke lever to START
5) DO NOT DEPRESS THE THROTTLE
6) Pull cord 1-5X until you hear it stumble
7) Immediately set Choke lever to RUN
8) If engine dies, pull cord again 1-5X

Once running you may need to fiddle with the choke for the first few moments to keep it running, but ultimately need to end up in RUN. Goose the throttle a bit to get it going, then it should idle without any throttle.

This has worked for me multiple times. If you watch the youtube videos of people doing "cold starts" you will see this what they all do, even if they don't always narrate it quite the same.

The manual tells you to put the throttle on full, that seems wrong and never worked for me over an entire summer of failed start attempts.

The manual also does not indicate that once you get a "stumble" out of it you should quickly switch Choke to RUN and pull some more.

I was ready to throw this trimmer in a junk pile I was so fed up with it not starting... I had put in new gas, new plug, etc... tried to start it at least half a dozen times on as many occasions and never got it going until after watching the way the youtube guys were doing it.
__________________
My advice is based on anecdotal knowledge or personal experience. I'm not a professional no matter how matter of factly I may say something
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,293
Default

Echo SRM-225 won't start


Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbler View Post
I posted here about a million years ago with a no-start issue with the trimmer.

I notice the thread comes up with google search, but the solution was never put in the thread, so I want to do it for future searchers with the same problem--

This is the start-up process that works--it is NOT the same as what's in the manual:
1) Prime until you see gas, no air pockets, in the return fuel line
2) Prime another 4-5X
3) Set Run/Stop switch to RUN
4) Set Choke lever to START
5) DO NOT DEPRESS THE THROTTLE
6) Pull cord 1-5X until you hear it stumble
7) Immediately set Choke lever to RUN
8) If engine dies, pull cord again 1-5X

Once running you may need to fiddle with the choke for the first few moments to keep it running, but ultimately need to end up in RUN. Goose the throttle a bit to get it going, then it should idle without any throttle.

This has worked for me multiple times. If you watch the youtube videos of people doing "cold starts" you will see this what they all do, even if they don't always narrate it quite the same.

The manual tells you to put the throttle on full, that seems wrong and never worked for me over an entire summer of failed start attempts.

The manual also does not indicate that once you get a "stumble" out of it you should quickly switch Choke to RUN and pull some more.

I was ready to throw this trimmer in a junk pile I was so fed up with it not starting... I had put in new gas, new plug, etc... tried to start it at least half a dozen times on as many occasions and never got it going until after watching the way the youtube guys were doing it.

Well,i have the same machine and my starting sequence is set choke to start, push primer bulb 6 times,pull starter 3 times max with throttle depressed,if no start move choke to run, pull starter once and it always starts.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
compressor wants to start but won't wetbar HVAC 13 06-17-2010 06:15 PM
Homelite weedeater won't start. Out of ideas. Jasnall Landscaping & Lawn Care 7 06-03-2010 01:12 AM
Troy-Bilt 2-Cycle Gas Trimmer Will Not Start g8tkeeper Tools 2 08-26-2009 08:26 AM
Troy-Bilt 2-Cycle Gas Trimmer Will Not Start g8tkeeper Landscaping & Lawn Care 3 08-13-2009 10:58 AM
How to repair/clean centrifugal start switch pointertopica Electrical 4 12-03-2008 07:05 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.