Craftsman Self-Propelled Mower Intermittent Power To Right Wheel (Left Wheel Is Good) - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Craftsman Self-Propelled Mower Intermittent Power to Right Wheel (Left Wheel is Good)

Hi, my parents own a Craftsman Mower, model number 917377820. It is self-propelled and rear wheel drive. My Dad wanted me to replace the Left Rear Wheel (from the operator's perspective) since it was completely bald. The right rear wheel was fine. This is due to an issue we've had for a couple years. The left wheel always gets proper power, but the right wheel doesn't. Sometimes the right wheel turns, and sometimes it doesn't. We didn't bother too much with it because the left wheel powered the mower enough to where it was still easy to mow (but that's also why the left wheel went bald so quick). Also, when I asked someone about it, they said that was unusual for one wheel to lose power intermittently so I didn't really look that into it. Well, when I went to remove the wheels, I took off both the right and left just to see something, and I noticed a washer was missing on the right rear wheel that is supposed to be between an e-ring and the drive pinion. You can see it here, the missing washer is number 27 in this diagram:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=

Would this explain the intermittent power loss? It creates a tad bit more movement in the right drive pinion, while the left drive pinion is more secure since it still has its washer.

Also, when I went to buy my new wheel, I couldn't find it in any local stores. I had to look online and had to pay $30 for it ($22 + shipping). I didn't think a rear wheel for an old mower would be that much. I checked amazon, ebay, local stores, etc... and the cheapest wheel was from Sears online. The wheel part number was 180762. Are there any places where you can find mower wheels cheaper?

Advertisement

amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

Craftsman Self-Propelled Mower Intermittent Power to Right Wheel (Left Wheel is Good)

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHe...turn-917377820

When's the last time that drive belt was changed?

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #3

Look below for response... my error in editing a post...

Last edited by amodoko; 06-26-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #4

Thanks Joe, the drive belt has never been changed but I thought if the drive belt was bad then both wheels would have issues turning. So I figured the problem would lie elsewhere.

I had never thought about the gears in the wheel being bad (as the repair clinic website had mentioned, the one you linked me to). So now I at least have something else to think about. I can switch the wheels and see if the problem migrates to the other side, if it does, then the wheel's gears are most likely bad.

And also, I had seen that deal for that wheel from the repair clinic, but didn't buy it because my wheels are 9x2 and the repair clinic was showing an 8x2 wheel. Also, if you click on the image of the wheel, it shows the inside of the wheel as well and there are no gears. I believe they are showing the front wheel for sale and they do not have an image of the rear wheel on their website. So those inconsistencies made me hesitant to buy it from them because I don't know if I would be getting a front wheel when I need a rear wheel.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

Just looked at the mower again and reversed the wheels and the problem did not migrate to the other side. So the wheel is not the issue that is causing the problem of one wheel having power. I looked at the actual gears on each end of the axle that power the wheels and the left gear worked fine but the right gear was not. The axle itself was turning properly on both sides, so it is controlled by one belt like other mowers, but the gear on the right side would not catch even though the axle was spinning. Both gears can spin independently of the axle, they are supposed to be able to it seems. At this point, I believe the missing washer on the right side is causing too much play between the gear and the end of the axle which is why I believe the right side is not catching. Unless there is another part that is causing the problem with the gear not catching with the axle, I would think it is just a little washer that may have been causing this issue with intermittent power to the right wheel. I will be without internet for a few days, so I won't be able to respond right away.