Craftsman Mower Won't Fully Engage Gear Or Brake - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 96

Craftsman mower won't fully engage gear or brake

I started up my mower for the first time in a while this morning- the rear left wheel had been removed to repair a tire that fell off the bead.

Seemed to start up just fine, but upon trying to back out of my garage, it barely moved. It almost seems like the darned thing is TRYING to move (it will sort of inch along in the direction if I shake back and forth), but not enough power to move it. Not only that, but depressing the brake/clutch pedal doesn't seem to engage the brake either (my driveway has a slight incline, and pushing it out to there so it started rolling, I wasn't able to stop it with the brake pedal!). Even putting the parking brake into place doesn't seem to hold the mower from being pushed. The pedal seems to fully depress/unpress, but it seems like I can't really get it to move and/or stop.

It was working just fine when I parked it last time, and honestly all I did was take off the wheel to reseat the tire! What did I do??

Advertisement

dishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,256

And the model # is?

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

But I think I may have stumbled onto the problem... I found this near where I removed the tire:

Could this be the axle key? I must have missed this when I removed the tire- any diagrams for reinstalling?
Old 07-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #4

Yep. Scratch that, it was exactly what I thought. Found a diagram online that showed this little piece, took the tire back off (stupid e-clip drives me crazy to put back on, but whatever), found the notch, but this little bit on, tire now turns with transmission, brakes stop, everything as it should be!
The Following User Says Thank You to dishe For This Useful Post:
JD367 (07-05-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,372

The reason that doesn't happen more often is that the wheel is rusted to the axle and won't come off. The tire is repaired with wheel still mounted like the big boy tractors.

Do that E-Clip thing 1 more time and Never-Seeze the axle.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 07-05-2015 at 03:43 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
John

Rewards Points: 202

This is common,when some one removes a wheel. It's how I got my JD so cheap ! I told the PO that it wasn't his trans but he said it was. So,I gave him $300 for it. I was right.
None of the manufacturers put anything on the axle shafts,when they're built,and the dealers don't either .
I make it a point,when someone shows me their new lawn tractor,to tell them this .
It saves headaches,later.
Oh, by the way,....grease the front wheels every other time you mow/use the tractor. It cleans the dirt out of the bushings,and keeps them from wearing out too soon.

Advertisement

JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote