Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

Share |

Craftsman 22" Spindle Issue?

This mower is one year old. I am a new home buyer of one year. I took the blade off to sharpen, and when I went to put it back on I noticed that the spindle (I think) is lower than it should be... I'm not sure what happened or why this happened.

It freely rotates counterclockwise or clockwise. There seems to be one point where it finds a groove where it sinks back towards the top of the mower approximately 1/2 inch. But, when I push hard, it doesn't go any further. Then if I turn either direction it just pops out of the 1/2 inch groove and rotates freely.

Pictures below. The threads aren't even there for the screw to attach the blade. I want to say it's something simple...but I'm not sure if that's the case. I like to try to fix things myself but I'm pretty sure it should still be under warranty.

Thanks for any advice and apologies for being so un-BobVila-ish.

EDIT: I guess I can't post pictures (links) because I'm too noobish. Anyways the thing that mounts the blade is approx 5 inches out from underneath the motor. I see that there still is a belt attached to the portion that remains inside the mower.

skragglepuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

So I was able to get it back into the drive shaft groove. Not sure what the problem is but I guess I just needed to really shove it in there when I found the groove.

But then my self-propel feature didn't work. The wheel just didn't move. So I took the blade off and inspected the belt again. After replacing the blade I can't even get it to start! Maybe I got some oil on the spark plug because I removed the connection before messing with the blade. But that doesn't even explain the issue about the self-propel feature.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to curtd

In most lawnmowers the blade hub (adapter) is usually attached directly to the engines' crankshaft, and the blade then is mounted to the hub. Riding lawnmowers that have 2 or more blades use a belt driven off the crankshaft which then drive the spindles. Sounds like you have a 44" cutting path (22" x 2 blades)
curtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #4

No, it's a push. I just figured out the problem yesterday. Originally, I was unable to get it back onto the crankshaft. It's almost like I had to force it back on - It didn't move freely. After doing that the threads reappear and the screw catches and all is well.

I guess during that time the self propel pulley fell off of the shaft. Then, after repeated removal for safety reasons, the spark plug faulted. So all in all it was a bunch of bonehead fixes.

I'll be more careful next time I sharpen the blade.