Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

Share |

Changing essentially new oil?

I changed the oil in my snowblower last year and used it less than 2 hours. Does it have to be changed again?

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

It's best to get into a habit of changing the oil at least once a year at the same time every year.
Any unused machine is still subject to condensation inside the engine and acids forming used or not.

djlandkpl (11-12-2013), Duckweather (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Haverhill Trade 1965

Exactly Joe! In the army we changed oil every 90 days even if the vehicle didn't run. If we opened a can and didn't use it all it could not be closed and used later. It was considered contaminated. Last thing anyone wanted was an engine to fail when someone was trying to use them for a target.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I changed the oil in my snowblower last year and used it less than 2 hours. Does it have to be changed again?
I'd change it. The cost is inconsequential, and the potential problems with not changing it are pretty expensive.

I use synthetic oil in my small engines, and always add a little bit of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I'd change it. The cost is inconsequential, and the potential problems with not changing it are pretty expensive.

I use synthetic oil in my small engines, and always add a little bit of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

What's the point of using stabilizer in synthetic oil??
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
JOATMON

Your supposed to change the oil?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
What's the point of using stabilizer in synthetic oil??
The Lucas Oil Stabilizer is sticky - kind of like chainsaw bar oil. It does not run off moving parts and leave them dry.

Again, I have no scientific evidence regarding its effectiveness. My evidence is anecdotal - in that, before we started using Lucas Stabilizer, we dropped at least one engine per summer during our lawn service years. After I started using it, I never dropped another engine. That may be purely circumstantial, but I'm happy to wager $12 per bottle on those circumstances.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
The Lucas Oil Stabilizer is sticky - kind of like chainsaw bar oil. It does not run off moving parts and leave them dry.

Again, I have no scientific evidence regarding its effectiveness. My evidence is anecdotal - in that, before we started using Lucas Stabilizer, we dropped at least one engine per summer during our lawn service years. After I started using it, I never dropped another engine. That may be purely circumstantial, but I'm happy to wager $12 per bottle on those circumstances.

You might want to read this article.

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/..._additives.htm
Old 04-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
You might want to read this article.

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/..._additives.htm
Yes, I've read that article that was written and distributed by Amsoil. Funny thing is, lots of people write the same kind of articles about Amsoil.

It should also be noted that it is posted by somebody who stands to make money off what it says. That alone is a huge red flag.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, I've read that article that was written and distributed by Amsoil. Funny thing is, lots of people write the same kind of articles about Amsoil.

It should also be noted that it is posted by somebody who stands to make money off what it says. That alone is a huge red flag.

Yes I guess they all do the same thing, after all it's their living and they all post to promote their product, here's another red flag.

http://www.nhra.net/apcm/templates/a...417&zoneid=101
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Yes I guess they all do the same thing, after all it's their living and they all post to promote their product, here's another red flag.

http://www.nhra.net/apcm/templates/a...417&zoneid=101
One of the problems with the first link you posted is that the guy is comparing Slick 50 with Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Anyone who has been around both products knows they are completely dissimilar, and any comparison absurd.

There is absolutely nothing magical or mysterious about Lucas Oil Stabilizer. As I said earlier, it increases viscosity, and it is sticky - like chainsaw bar oil. In some applications that is a very good thing.