Briggs And Stratton Disaster - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,698

Briggs And Stratton disaster

I own a DR leaf and lawn vac that had a 5.5 HP engine that died and I needed a new engine.
These engines are custom made for them with a 1" X 2-1/32 long shaft so you have to order them direct from DR.
The Model#, serial # even the number stamped into the OHV cover are useless when trying to talk to B & S or any authorized service center because it comes up as a 3/4 shaft 2-7/8 long.
I order a new motor from DR it came as a 9 HP but still fit perfect.
I start it with one pull, it ran less then 15 min. and died. While it ran it ran like poop and made a knocking sound.
I contact DR and they tell me to take it to a local B & S dealer.
Within min. they found B & S had used a plastic gear to drive the cam.
All that's stopping the gear from moving on the shaft is a tiny tab on the back side of the gear that sheared off.
DR sent me another engine no charge 2nd day air.
Same exact thing happened. Start it up 15 min. later it dies.
Open the engine up and the cam gear sheared off again.
What the heck are they thinking using a plastic gear, loose on a shaft, not even a key, just a 1/4" X 1/4" X 1/4" deep piece of plastic.
DR is sending me another engine and this time they want the dealer to install it.
I contacted B & S and they where nothing but rude on the phone and claim I'm not giving them the right #s, they have never made an engine like mine with the shaft sizes I gave them, even though DR buys them by the truck load.
Anyone else had issues with this?

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,632

Is there a possibility that DR is buying them from a vendor who has bought from B&S and then modified the engine with a plastic gear?

Or is this a deal where it is ordered by DR with these in it and B&S only provides the basic parts?

ED

Advertisement

de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,346

Haven't run into your exact situation, but definitely the issue of proprietary engines any number of times. Essentially the same engines, but one built for general use and one for specific application, seemingly with no logical reason for not using the standard one. Got lucky maybe 10 years ago on one, and ended up swapping either the crankshaft or camshaft from the original one to a new engine. Can't remember which, but do recall chucking them in the lathe in order to compare the exact diameters, positions of the keys, etc., so that was a bit time consuming. Doesn't sound like anything like that is a consideration in this case with the horsepower being that much different between the original one and the replacement. Probably not enough same size parts. Only other thing, if you can't get an engine that works, might be to make a new pulley for it. Have done that before too, but, again, takes some time.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Could be a Chinese counterfeit.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 76

Don't know if it would be a Chinese counterfeit or a legitimate B&S built offshore. A friend had a new-in-box piece of equipment with an offshore-built B&S engine that would burn so much oil it would only run about half an hour before the low oil sensor shut it down. Yes, you can take it back but it doesn't help to find this out at a site back in the bush a million miles from anywhere.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,328

On my old Ariens snow blower I needed a new engine, only I couldn't find one with the correct shaft size, even though the listings said they would work. What I did find was a bushing to increase it from 3/4" to 1" IIRC.

How about a Honda with a 3/4" shaft and have a machine shop make you the correct size bushing/shaft?
1985gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #7

Thought about that.
Problem is the shaft length is wrong and the bolt pattern also has to match up where the blower mounts to the engine. Also a 3/4" shaft in this application is very likely to bend.
B & S is admitting this engine will never work and has offered to send a new engine and crank shaft that they know will work at no charge, even willing to pay for the labor at my local shop to make the needed changes.
The catch is DR has to issue a PO to get it.
DR is staying in contact and telling me there working with B & S on the problem but 3, months later, still no engine.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,328

All of that could be machined i'm sure by a good machine shop. Probably best to push the channels with DR. Although I'm surprised brigs hasn't stepped up more. I mean those parts cost them very little, the shipping would probably be more then what it actually costs to make the parts. And an unhappy customer very rarely returns.
1985gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #9

Briggs admitted that engine would never work, they went so far as to give me the numbers I needed to order and offered to pay my local B & S dealer to put it together and gave me a case #.
Trick is DR has to issue a P.O. # to order it.
DR's stayed in touch, but all I get from them is there working with B & S on the problem, which does me no good because 3 months later I still have no working engine.

Advertisement