Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Black and Decker 36V Lithium Trimmer LST136

Were thinking about trying one of these out:
Black and Decker

36V Lithium High Performance String Trimmer with Power Command

MODEL # LST136

They cost around $175.

Any thoughts?

dstorjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #2

I have three battery operated line trimmers I'll sell you cheap. All run out of power before I can finish the yard.
All were bought by the lady I live with, she needed light weight ones to make it easy on here, but she had to stop 1/2 way through and recharge them.
I have two gas powered ones that work far better and use a thicker line so the string last longer.

Try going on Amazon.com look up the trimmer your thinking of buy and look at the bottom of the listing at the comments from people that have bought it before to get an idea on how it worked out for them.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I have three battery operated line trimmers I'll sell you cheap. All run out of power before I can finish the yard.
All were bought by the lady I live with, she needed light weight ones to make it easy on here, but she had to stop 1/2 way through and recharge them.
I have two gas powered ones that work far better and use a thicker line so the string last longer.

Try going on Amazon.com look up the trimmer your thinking of buy and look at the bottom of the listing at the comments from people that have bought it before to get an idea on how it worked out for them.
For the record, I am being persuaded to look at this. However, I must say that my skepticism is going down a bit because of the 36V. Was either of yours a 36V trimmer?

I want something that works and if I can get rid of the annoying vibrations that would be a treat as well.
dstorjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstorjoh View Post
Were thinking about trying one of these out:
They cost around $175.

Any thoughts?
an hour or so spent with a grub hoe along the length of the fence...
with a thin layer of gravel and monthly shot of Round-Up
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I will stay out of the discussion about life of the battery charge but will hint you had better price the cost of replacements before making a decision. Obviously another factor in deciding is how much you have to trim each time.

Girlfriend had a lovely B&D electric mower that was well suited to her small lawns. It was sure nice and quiet. Batteries seemed to fail over the winter even with the machine stored in the garage so a new set were a given each season. Pricey.

I did enjoy watching her push it around!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Learning Things Every Day

I looked at that trimmer in-store before I eventually bought my 18V Ryobi. After using (and really liking) mine, which has plenty of power, I think a 36V model is overkill for only a trimmer. If you weren't planning on buying any other tools that use these batteries, I'd look at an 18 or even 24V trimmer - they're cheaper up front, and cheaper to replace the batteries. On the other hand, if you want to buy multiple tools, then the power of 36V might be the wiser investment.

As an example, my trimmer came with a free leaf blower, and I also bought the hedge trimmer. All three tools use the same 18V batteries. While the blower and hedge trimmer have just enough power for my uses, I can see where being merely 18V would be quite underpowered in a lot of situations. Power shouldn't be an issue for a 36V line of tools.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #7

I own the B&D 36 volt trimmer, and it works great! THe biggest thing to remember is to NOT squeese the throttle down all the way. The tool has plenty of power to get most jobs done at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Running it at full throttle eats up the battery really fast, but running it at modest levels gives me about a half hour of charge, which is about enough to do all the trimming around my 1/4 acre lot. This string trimmer uses 2 strings on either side, so there is minimal vibration (unless you let one of the strings run out or jam)

Now, my trimmer is the older NiCad trimmer, not the newer Lithium-ion one. The biggest gripe I have with this tool is that the charger is S-L-O-W. It takes about 18 hours to fully charge the battery. I put a watt meter on it, and the charger is only putting about 10 watts into the batter. The battery holds 200 watt-hours of electricty. I'm on year 3 with it, and it's still holding a good charge

av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote