Argggghhhh! - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Argggghhhh!

I have a 22" self-propelled walk-behind Craftsman that is about four years old. It has the B&S 6.75 motor. In the four years I've had this thing, I've spent as much time fixing it as I have cutting grass (have had to replace the drive transmission, new cable to the transmission, replace the starter spring, a cracked flywheel, a couple of new wheels). Now, I cannot get a spark from the thing. I've already removed and polished the flywheel and coil, reset the airgap, and replaced the spark plug. My next suspicion is that the coil maybe shorted. Any ideas on what the correct measurements for resistance should be?

One of these days, I will take great pleasure in destroying that mower in a spectacular manner, but right now, I need to get the thing running (again). Thoughts?

Advertisement

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

Argggghhhh!

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Argggghhhh!

Hmm, after a beer and a smoke, I took another look at the mower and believe I can see the issue now. It seems that cable to the deadman bar is stretched to the point that it does not break the circuit of the stop wire to the coil (there's about a 1/4" of play in the cable even with the bar held all the way down). I'm getting no resistance between the motor housing and the stop wire with the lever pulled down. No wonder it won't spark.

Sadly, I don't see any method of adjusting the tension on the cable, so it's off to order more parts, I suppose.

The funny thing is that the motor itself has never given me a lick of trouble (this is the first time I've had a legitimate problem with starting or running the mower, and it appears to not really be a problem with the motor), but the deck is a POS.
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clashley For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-09-2013)