Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #1

Share |

am I stingy

Never thought this would be an issue.

I've never borrowed anything and don't like asking favors. As a single person, after buying this house last yr I had no money and now have finally bought some yard tools, one is my recent pole saw, (after asking a hundred questions and researching).

A snowbird neighbor lady who owns 2 homes, a pool, a big RV and motorcycle was complaining she didn't have any way to cut her palm frond since they were up high and was hinting to use my brand new pole saw but I'm not inclined to loan it. I'm not clear on all the maintenance of it yet and can't afford replacement parts.

Does anyone else have a problem with neighbors borrowing their tools? Do I sound stingy?

Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Startingover For This Useful Post:
ptarmigan61 (10-27-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #2

am I stingy

If I want to be helpful/neighborly but not sure how well someone will take care of my tools, I would do it for them if it's just one tree.

That's a tough situation though. You don't want to be "that guy" but you don't want your stuff damaged either.

Is it a powered pole saw or 100% manual? If manual, I'd be more inclined to allow someone to borrow it as they are typically easier to maintain/service.

dengle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dengle For This Useful Post:
Jay123 (10-03-2013), Startingover (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

am I stingy

Really depends upon the neighbor. I won't lend to those who I know can't handle the task. I also have the expectation that if the borrower breaks it, they fix or replace it.
Startingover (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

am I stingy

dengle, I'm female, live alone, and no spring chicken so I can barely keep up with my own house and yard. I would like to offer to do it for her but physically can't.

My new saw is electric and I'm still struggling to figure out how to sharpen the chain myself.

I'm thinking a white lie............"it's out of commission".

Last edited by Startingover; 10-02-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Mod

am I stingy

If it was just a few cuts I'd just do it for her (assuming I like her) but that's just me.

I would "never" loan out a chainsaw unless you were family or a good friend and I was confident with your ability.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

am I stingy

As its a power tool I can totally understand the hesitation. All it takes is one time letting it fall to the ground while running and you have an instant dulled chain and potentially a ruined bar.

As for sharpening, they do have tools h that sharpen chainsaw chains but unsure of their efficacy or ease of use. I typically keep one good spare chain and bar handy with a crappy chain and bar as a backup. Then you could put on the crappy bar and chain for neighbors use!
dengle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dengle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #7

am I stingy

Did your neighbour ask you for it? If not (but may have hinted for it), then you don't really have to lie - nor do you have to lend your polesaw...You can always set a precedent by claiming "you don't lend tools, period"; that's what I do.

In my case I (sometimes) can do it for them but I am not really that close to any of my neighbours that I would consider them like 'family' - in which case I would lend them a tool...

Now, if specifically asked to lend a tool, it would depend on whether or not that person knew how to handle such a tool. A hammmer is one thing, a polesaw another. On the other hand, I don't have neighbours that are that cheap that they would ask me anyways.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ccarlisle For This Useful Post:
Startingover (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

am I stingy

I would say, "I got a pole saw you can use if you get mine too while you're at it". Symbiotic relationship could lead to friendship.
Startingover (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

am I stingy

LOL, polecat I like that answer.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Roofmaster

am I stingy

A lady that owns two houses and a swimming pool can afford to have a professional landscaper come in and trim her tree for her. Im not sure what king of electric pruning saw you bought, but the one I bought turned out to be a POS, and it only lasted for about five branches. You cant buy a good one for less than about $350.00

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Startingover (03-10-2014)
Old 10-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #11

am I stingy

I have yet to have someone borrow something and not bring it back broken, out of gas or oil.
Pay me to do it or go buy your own.
My pole saw cost me $650.00, no one's allowed to use it but me.
I lend out my rototiller and it comes back with a broken pull cord, and no gas. I go to use it and call the guy and ask about it and he says, oh ya I forgot to tell you.
I borrow something and it breaks I get it fixed!
Startingover (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #12

am I stingy

I'm the other way around. I'm have yet to borrow something and not repair it. Before I actually use it I have to fix it.
big juicy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big juicy01 For This Useful Post:
Startingover (10-28-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

am I stingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
Never thought this would be an issue.

I've never borrowed anything and don't like asking favors. As a single person, after buying this house last yr I had no money and now have finally bought some yard tools, one is my recent pole saw, (after asking a hundred questions and researching).

A snowbird neighbor lady who owns 2 homes, a pool, a big RV and motorcycle was complaining she didn't have any way to cut her palm frond since they were up high and was hinting to use my brand new pole saw but I'm not inclined to loan it. I'm not clear on all the maintenance of it yet and can't afford replacement parts.

Does anyone else have a problem with neighbors borrowing their tools? Do I sound stingy?

Look in the phone book, and find a trimming company. Give her the name and number of that company.

If she then comes clean and ask to borrow your pole saw. Ask her if you can borrow her RV for the weekend.
Startingover (10-28-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #14

am I stingy

Loaning or borrowing tools gave some entrepreneur the idea long ago to open a rental yard...... Now every town has one
jagans (10-27-2013), Startingover (10-28-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #15

am I stingy

For me it would depend on how well I knew the neighbor.

The one that I have next door, we drink beer together all the time, get along great and have some of the same friends. I wouldn't have a problem lending him anything. He lent me his truck one weekend when mine was in the shop on the pretense that I pick him up at the airport the following week.

The rest of them not so much.

About 6 years ago before we bought the house we live in now, we had rented a house in the general area to see how we liked it here before buying. The lots were all a little over an acre.

The neighbor lady across the street was trying to mow her lawn with a little push mower and it broke down on her. I felt sorry for her and offered to let her borrow our riding mower to finish her yard. I filled it up with gas and showed her how to work it.

It came back with two bent mower blades and the gas tank was empty.

The next weekend, she came and knocked on the door and asked if she could borrow it again.... NOPE

crf731 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crf731 For This Useful Post:
Startingover (03-10-2014)