Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

5 HP 2 stage snow blower ?

say i bought a good used one. what issues would i have, regarding moving snow ?

my 3hp toro single stage is fine in dry snow. thick wet snow, forget about it.

i would rather have a 8hp single stage. but those are expensive.

i have never used a 2 stage. so idk if i would like it.

perhaps i will buy it and try it. if i don't like it, just resell.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #2

Two-stage snowblowers are much better than single stage ones! They have one stage, designed to pull in the snow and another designed to throw it. Because of this each stage apparatus much more efficiently and the result is a two-stage snowblower can throw any type of snow much farther than a single stage I. Depending on how wide it is, a 5 hp two-stage thrower should work very well.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Before you buy any type of snow blower, you need to consider what kind of snow you get where you live. No blower will throw heavy wet snow very well. For this kind of snow you are better off with a plow.

As far a single versus 2 stage, I would not even consider a single stage blower. As a previous poster stated, you need the auger, which is geared down for power to feed the impeller, which really spins at high speed to eject the snow. The machine has to be correctly engineered to work properly. Many are not. Many years ago I bought a relatively expensive blower made by Toro. I had nothing but trouble with the machine until I got past the mind set that kept telling me "Hey they are the engineers, they must know what they are doing" Once I got past that, I dug into the machine, find out what they did wrong and fixed it. They also used a Tecumseh engine to power the machine, which should not have been done based on the original cost which was over $1200.00. As it turns out, the problems with the Tecumseh engines were due to bad carburetors. The engines themselves are not bad. They aren't a Briggs, but they aren't that bad.

It is fairly obvious that all companies are in a continuous tug of war between the engineering department, and the bean counting department. The key is determining which companies engineers hold the line on quality, and which cave in. Thanks to Willie C and his NAFTA, this is becoming nearly impossible to do.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #4

doing just a little research. i found that 2 stage does no do well with small amounts of snow, say 3". around here, we usually don't get a lot of snow. under 8" is the norm. but, a few years ago, we had a lot of snow. it was dry, and there were 3'+ drifts. you should have seen my moms 100' 2 wide drive, i could have dug tunnels in the drifts. i used her 5hp single stage to clear the drive. it took a little while, but i did it. so i think i will just keep looking for a higher hp single.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote