Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |

.020 rather than .030 spark plug gap?

I had a Generac 8kw standby generator installed in Spring and had the first service yesterday.
The serviceman told me he had changed the gap to 0.02" from the 0.03" set at the factory because they have hundreds of installations and find that the smaller gap starts better locally.

I sent Generac a email about it, but their only reply was that doing anything contrary to their recommendations might void the warranty. Thanks...

I don't know anything about engines; does what the serviceman say make any sense? Is it possibly that cold weather requires a different gap?

I am already on my second company. The one that installed it doesn't see any reason to change from the factory supplied 30 oil to 5w-30 before winter. I know that is wrong.

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 192

Makes no since to me. Smaller gap, less spark.
Stick with whatever the manufacturer suggest.
There going to be looking for an out to not cover any warranty work if ever needed and you have been set up to deign a claim.
http://www.custom-car.us/ignition/spark-plug/gap.aspx

Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

It is actually an Eaton made by Generac. Eaton finally got back to me. They say that it won't do any harm and might just possibly be better if there is something odd about our local NG, such as having a high moisture content.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

Man what a post switcher.

1. You never said you were running Natural Gas in the first place, so I thought Gasoline. I guess I should not assume anything.

2. Then you switch the conversation from plug gap to type of oil.

Spark:

My answer would be to do what the manufacturer says, but if you have a CD ignition, which is pretty likely, .030" Gap should be fine. .020" seems too small to me. Maybe compromise at .025" ?

Oil: I would not use anything but full synthetic oil in the weight that is appropriate for the season. I would say 10W-30 but I dont know where you live, and what temp you expect to see. How would we know where you live?

I would use some MMO in the crankcase too. It really prevents sludge formation.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote