Wood Gate In CMU Pillar? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash
  • 1 Post By diyer75

Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Wood Gate in CMU Pillar?

Hi,

I just had this Breezeblock fence built in front of our house to create a front courtyard and more privacy.

I am going to build my own gate which seems pretty simple and straightforward but I am not sure of the best direction to take in attaching it to the pillar.

Should I:

A) attach a wood post on either side (which I guess I need to do since I want this to have a handle and latch anyway) and attach the wood post to the brick pillar with EPOXY/GLUE and/OR Anchor bolts? Each pillar is filled with concrete and rebar.

or

B) attach the gate with hinges directly to the concrete pillars??

Any advice on the type of wood to use if I should go that route, and how to best attach it, would be appreciated.

The gate size will be 4' wide x 6'2" high leaving about 4" at the bottom to open and close.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Gate in CMU Pillar?-untitled-3038.jpg  

Advertisement

diyer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 1,882

Re: Wood Gate in CMU Pillar?

How heavy is the gate going to be? A wood post will likely have more success not wiggling loose from the block if it is glued and screwed to the block and sunk in the ground and concreted in.
Bondo likes this.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #3

not sure how heavy it will be but probably heavier than most as I'm using 2 x 6's instead of 2 x 4' for the construction of the gate then on top of that rathe than using wood slats I'm using marine grade plywood and then painting it all.

also the wood pillars ideally don't have to go into the ground as it's concrete there I guess I could use anchors there and screw those into the ground then into the wood then then wood into the concrete pillars??

thanks for your help!

Old 01-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 12,000

I would use 2x4 or 2x6 to match the gate. Mount them to the pillars with concrete wedge anchors.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #5

ok i will use 2 x 6"s on either side of the gate opening and anchor them into the concrete pillars with the concrete wedge anchors then i'll install the hinges to that and the door latch/lock assembly.

thanks !
stadry likes this.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 702

I like a good functional sliding gate. They kind of stay where they are needed rather than swinging out in the way where they aren't needed too much.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,534

gate out of p/t'd 2x6's won't be significantly heavier than p/t'd 2x4's,,, wouldn't pick plywood' - even marine grade,,, suggest 3/8" anchors into mortar jnts rather than into cmu's

would be helpful to post where YOUR ' where ' is located when asking

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
diyer75 (01-09-2017)

Tags
attachment , concrete , fence , gates , masonry