Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #1

Share |

WHY welded wire mesh / rebar in conc ? ? ?

when its useless because of where its placed,,, eg - a 6" curb separating driving lanes from parking area,,, structure's supported by cast on-site columns w/std pre-cast beams & T's w/poured deck, unbonded curb w/form'd contraction jnts,,, easy demo work, huh ? add mesh & all of a sudden its NOT so easy

mesh is used to add strength while the conc is in tension ( curing ),,, AFTER the conc cures, it serves the purpose of holding the crack'd pieces of conc together - that's it, only 2 ! but it also adds time & more effort when the slab or work is demo'd this little job should have taken 2 hrs - NOT 6

for mesh to be useful & add strength, it gotta be @ vert mid-point of the work ( in this case, 3" +/- 5% or roughly 2.7" to 3.3" up from the btm,,, normally, in a slab, that means chairs ( supports ) otherwise conc jabonies tramp on mesh then have to pull it up w/hooks,,, think this mat was useless due to error by design, ignorant inspector, OR stupid contractor

@ least 1 good thing -my guys got more o/t 'cause the hosp said it to be done on a sun
Attached Thumbnails
WHY welded wire mesh / rebar in conc ? ? ?-bexley-install-032.jpg   WHY welded wire mesh / rebar in conc ? ? ?-bexley-install-037.jpg  

Last edited by stadry; 04-09-2013 at 04:19 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

And you always say that steel adds nothing to the concrete's integrity..........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #3

You've seen it more than me, but I've cut and removed acres of wire reinforced slabs, and the WW is always down by the bottom. The finishers always talk about pulling it to mid slab, but they only make a half hearted show of it. I won't use WW. If it needs to be reinforced, it gets the full treatment of bar and dobies
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-10-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

What hospital?
I think I have seen that spot.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
when its useless because of where its placed,,, eg - a 6" curb separating driving lanes from parking area,,, structure's supported by cast on-site columns w/std pre-cast beams & T's w/poured deck, unbonded curb w/form'd contraction jnts,,, easy demo work, huh ? add mesh & all of a sudden its NOT so easy

mesh is used to add strength while the conc is in tension ( curing ),,, AFTER the conc cures, it serves the purpose of holding the crack'd pieces of conc together - that's it, only 2 ! but it also adds time & more effort when the slab or work is demo'd this little job should have taken 2 hrs - NOT 6

for mesh to be useful & add strength, it gotta be @ vert mid-point of the work ( in this case, 3" +/- 5% or roughly 2.7" to 3.3" up from the btm,,, normally, in a slab, that means chairs ( supports ) otherwise conc jabonies tramp on mesh then have to pull it up w/hooks,,, think this mat was useless due to error by design, ignorant inspector, OR stupid contractor

@ least 1 good thing -my guys got more o/t 'cause the hosp said it to be done on a sun

Can you please quote a price for removal of this slab,it doesn't need to be removed on a Sunday,any week day is fine.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

diamond saws, lewis pins, & site crane would $1.00-$3.80sf be too much ? reminds me of my days in the city plcing conc on the 50th floor so some other ungawdly place most usually it was w/union labor, too oy !

how many teamsters does it take to back a work van onto a union work site ? 8 - you gotta problem with dat ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
diamond saws, lewis pins, & site crane would $1.00-$3.80sf be too much ? reminds me of my days in the city plcing conc on the 50th floor so some other ungawdly place most usually it was w/union labor, too oy !

how many teamsters does it take to back a work van onto a union work site ? 8 - you gotta problem with dat ?

That price will be fine,start when ready!!
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Reminds me when I started tearing out my deck... I gave up and left it to the pros! Took them a whole day with heavy machinery. Jackhammer on an excavator and the excavator itself. Two guys. Dump truck, and other tools too. Hauling it away is one part I had never even considered, that's a job on it's own especially when you just have a car!

These guys knew how to make a slab!

Pretty sure that slab continues and is also the same slab as the garage floor, which is strong enough to hold a car up, there's a crawlspace under it.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote