Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

what are these pipes?

I'm planning on buying a very cheap house but there is one thing that bothers me. In the basement floor there is a square hole with pipes coming from the sides. The hole is filled with water. Is there a piece missing in between them?

This house was built in the 50's.
Attached Thumbnails
what are these pipes?-img_0291-1-2-.jpg  

Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
jschaben

what are these pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post
I'm planning on buying a very cheap house but there is one thing that bothers me. In the basement floor there is a square hole with pipes coming from the sides. The hole is filled with water. Is there a piece missing in between them?

This house was built in the 50's.
Had something similar in a house I owned in upstate NY several years ago. Except mine was round and had a sump pump in it.
The pipes coming in from the sides (on mine) were perforated drain tubing that were run before the basement floor was poured. Those, coupled with the gravel bed for the floor, channeled water that got beneath the floor to the sump which was, in turn, pumped out of the house. The basement floor was also "floating", that is, not attached to the block basement walls. About a 1" gap all the way around. Not sure that is what you have,, more/better pictures may help.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
carpdad (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

what are these pipes?

Yup, that's what's missing ,a sump pump.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #4

what are these pipes?

unless i'm seeing things, there's 4 pipes,,, 3 look like terra cotta & the 4th appears to have some pvc on the end - possibly a ck valve,,, altho its not like any pro installed system i've ever seen, it appears you're missing the pump recommend zoeller's m 35 - eBay - usually $ 120 incl shipping various sellers

irc

ps - its rare a bsmt floor does NOT float,,, it only serves 1 purpose: something nicer than dirt to walk upon,,, that 1" slot was where the conc guy placed a screed rail,,, when removed, its called a ' slot drain '

Last edited by stadry; 06-23-2014 at 04:06 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

what are these pipes?

Thanks for all the info. I remember seeing a pump laying down on the floor somewhere that was not connected. Googling sump pumps.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 50

what are these pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post
Thanks for all the info. I remember seeing a pump laying down on the floor somewhere that was not connected. Googling sump pumps.
No need to google. Get in your car and go to your local Ace Hardware, Farm & Home Store, Lowe's, Home Depot. Take the picture with you and tell them you need a Sump pump.

They may ask you what horse power you will need. That will be your biggest problem. You are probably better in bringing in a plumber and have them run a camera first, to make sure that there are no problems in those lines. The plumber can then size the proper pump for your need.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #7

what are these pipes?

already gave you the information you need,,, bearing in mind apron/vest stores don't sell top of the line stuff & that includes tools & pumps,,, IF you need it day after tomorrow, buy it now on eBay & pay the extra shipping,,, you could also go to ferguson or grainger & pay retail

1/3 hp is the m53's rating @ 115v / 9.7a,,, @ 10', it'll pump 100gpm - that's 6,000 gal per hr ,,, its got a mechanical switch on stainless steel guides - NOT the ping-pong ball on a tether jury-rigg'd float switch,,, we do this work for a living & we use these pumps because they're the best

plumbers are NOT waterproofers - we regularly repair their work,,, about the only part i can agree on is the camera work,,, ask a plumber ' size ' a pump ? not in this lifetime then again, its YOUR house you'll do what you want if you're buying a cheap house, get a cheap pump as per previous posts

irc
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 50

what are these pipes?

itsreallyconc. Actually it depends on the Apron store. Our Menard's have guys that work in the trades, then work evenings or weekends there. Our Ace hardware has a really knowledgeable staff.

As for the pumps. They are all going to die some time. A lot depends on what is in the ground water, if they are left to run dry for a long period of time. Tools for the most. I would go with Kobalt. Half of my toolbox is Kolbalt hand tools.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
jschaben

what are these pipes?

I'm voting with calling the plumber. It's not clear in the picture just what you are to attach the pump to and where it is supposed to be pumping. A lot more questions here than "what goes in the hole?"

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:43 AM   #10

what are these pipes?

this is f'n amazing,,, plumbers are NOT waterproofers,,, all a plumber needs to know is **** runs downhill, hot wtr's on the left, payday's on friday, & don' lick your fingers

countless times we've replaced plumbers work,,, its not that they couldn't do the work IF they knew how to do it,,, they're just not trained to do the work,,, look at any waterproofer's w/site,,, its ALL based on:
1 - water runs downhill;
2 - water takes the path of least resistance;
3 - water seeks its own level; &
4 - water rushes to fill a void [ try making a hole in a tub full of water ]

its only rocket science when you're building rockets,,, if you want to call a plumber, fine,,, how can a pump ' run dry for a long period of time ' that makes no sense to me but i'm only a dumb waterproofer maybe if i were a plumber, it might as far as ' A lot depends on what is in the ground water, it doesn't - its WATER, fergawdsake, not oil, molasses, or melted butter,,,, it MAY contain some because it doesn't appear to be a properly built sump - so put your pump on a riser ! nothing says ' successful pro ' more than seeing 1 working nites/weekends selling stuff in an apron/vest store - give me a break that's a positive ? ? ?

this is like talking to a boxes of rocks do ANY of you do this work for a living ? yes, pumps die - ALL things living & ALL things mechanical die,,, drainage systems are low-maintenance, NOT NO MAINTENANCE - that's why pro systems include cleanouts & filter fabric about the sump - not the pictured ' hole in the floor ' which looks like typical plumbers work to me.

nothing upsets people who know everything more than those who only THINK they know it all so do what your want ! i'm done contributing to this thread but i await further posts good luck nevertheless !

irc
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
jschaben (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
Stonemason

what are these pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
unless i'm seeing things, there's 4 pipes,,, 3 look like terra cotta & the 4th appears to have some pvc on the end - possibly a ck valve,,, altho its not like any pro installed system i've ever seen, it appears you're missing the pump recommend zoeller's m 35 - eBay - usually $ 120 incl shipping various sellers'
There are five terra cotta drain pipes and one sump line. That isn't a check valve, it's a threaded union.

Quote:
already gave you the information you need,,, bearing in mind apron/vest stores don't sell top of the line stuff & that includes tools & pumps,

1/3 hp is the m53's rating @ 115v / 9.7a,,, @ 10', it'll pump 100gpm - that's 6,000 gal per hr ,,, its got a mechanical switch on stainless steel guides - NOT the ping-pong ball on a tether jury-rigg'd float switch,,, we do this work for a living & we use these pumps because they're the best

plumbers are NOT waterproofers - we regularly repair their work,,, about the only part i can agree on is the camera work,,, ask a plumber ' size ' a pump ? not in this lifetime then again, its YOUR house you'll do what you want if you're buying a cheap house, get a cheap pump as per previous posts

irc

Where did you come up with those numbers for a 1/3 hp pump? That 6000 claim caught my eye....I have never seen a 1/3ho pump push past 2200 @ 10' head pressure. The model pump you listed is 2040 GPH @ 10'.

I'm sure a lot of plumbers would say that waterproofers are not plumbers.

Last edited by stonecutter; 06-24-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Added detail
stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

what are these pipes?

never said it was a ck valve - only possibly

did i misread the chart ?
http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-na/pr...technical-data

' waterproofers are not plumbers ' - we agree on that part
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
Bill Kearney

what are these pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I'm sure a lot of plumbers would say that waterproofers are not plumbers.
And no doubt a lot of customers would say both were a huge pain in the butt.

I'd definitely seek a company doing waterproofing and basement work for this, well before I'd ask a plumber.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
Stonemason

what are these pipes?

Quote:
never said it was a ck valve - only possibly

did i misread the chart ?
http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-na/pr...technical-data

' waterproofers are not plumbers ' - we agree on that part
Yeah, you did. The 34 @10' is for GPM. That translates into 2040 GPH.

Don't forget...waterproofers aren't plumbers.
stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #15

what are these pipes?

ratz - i did misread it i don't mind if plumbers take our work as long as its done correctly - that means NO pedestal pumps, too usually they'll just dig a hole thru the conc & stick in a pump, tho

irc