Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wet concrete slab issue

I Sure hope you folks can help me out. My wife and I just had a very large screened in porch added to the back of our house. It started with a 10x10 slab that was put in when the builder built the house. Or contractor added a new slab next to it and two feet in front of it. We have a lagoon in our back yard and as such have a fairly high water table.

Now the issue, the original 10x10 slab gets soaking wet every time it rains, while the new slab remains bone dry. My thought is that the builder did not put down a vapor barrier, and it's wicking water from the ground after a rain. I know the contractor who built the room did install a thick barrier (plastic) because is we him do it. We did not notice this before as the original slab was open and had no roof. Now that it has a roof it's become very obvious.

Is there anyway for me to keep my original pad dry after a rain?? Any kind of product I can add to the top??

Thanks in advance !!

Gsragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 120

Wet concrete slab issue

We can not see what your seeing without a picture.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Wet concrete slab issue

Now the issue, the original 10x10 slab gets soaking wet every time it rains, while the new slab remains bone dry. My thought is that the builder did not put down a vapor barrier, and it's wicking water from the ground after a rain.

You 've answered your own question,and there's nothing you can apply that I know of that will keep the water from wicking on that old slab.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Wet concrete slab issue

Like Canary said, you've already identified the problem which is a start. However, there's not really any way to add anything now to help the problem. The best and probably only real solution will be to move the old pad, install vapor barrier and repour it.

Are you sure the water is coming from underneath and is not just moisture that's condensing on the cooler surface from high humidity in the air?
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8

Wet concrete slab issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Like Canary said, you've already identified the problem which is a start. However, there's not really any way to add anything now to help the problem. The best and probably only real solution will be to move the old pad, install vapor barrier and repour it.

Are you sure the water is coming from underneath and is not just moisture that's condensing on the cooler surface from high humidity in the air?
Well the OP say that there is a roof over it and the original slab is in the middle so yes that would be a great indicator that no vapor barrier was put down. the easiest way to fix it is rent a jack hammer and rip it out put in a 6mil min poly barrier and re pour the pad.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 38

Wet concrete slab issue

If a vapor barrier being omitted when the 10x10 was poured is causing the problem it would have been wet 24/7 before the screened in structure was built.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #7

Wet concrete slab issue

Someone asked if it could be condensation rather then water from below.. That's a good question and one I did not really think about.. How can I tell?? Is it possible for me to get condensation on the old pad and none on the new??

Ripping up the old pad to repour it is not an option as part of it is under the structure of the enclosure.

I guess its something I will have to live with at this point.. I was hoping there was a waterproof treatment I could put in top that would keep the water from surfacing, but I guess there is not.
Gsragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Wet concrete slab issue

Try taping some polythene to the floor. If the moisture is under it's probably rising damp, if on top condensation.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Wet concrete slab issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
Try taping some polythene to the floor. If the moisture is under it's probably rising damp, if on top condensation.
You beat me to it. Just make sure that the polyethylene is in complete contact with the floor so it's the same temperature on both sides.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 20

Wet concrete slab issue

on occasion we have retrofitted vapor barriers under existing industrial conc floors for clients w/deep pockets,,, not sure it makes $ sense for you but its possible,,, will monitor the thread

currently in fl - 2' wtr table - no vapor barriers - no wicking - no wet slabs

Last edited by stadry; 01-01-2014 at 05:26 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 38

Wet concrete slab issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsragtop View Post
Is it possible for me to get condensation on the old pad and none on the new??
Sure it's possible. All that's needed is a difference in surface temperature of the two slabs. With as little as one degree difference it is very possible.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #12

Wet concrete slab issue

You could try digging a trench around the slabs and putting stones and plastic drain tile in there.

tribe_fan is online now   Reply With Quote