Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Share |
Question

weight of a concrete floor

I would like to pour a concrete floor in my second-floor bathroom. It's a small bathroom, but I want to be sure I won't be adding too much weight to the floor by doing this, and compromising the structural integrity of my house. I'm planning on a thickness of about 1/4-1/2 inch. Anyone have any information on this? The internet has not been very useful so far on this question.

overlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

Why in the word would you want a hard, cold, poris floor in a bathroom?
Anything that thin will just crack.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlooker View Post
I would like to pour a concrete floor in my second-floor bathroom. It's a small bathroom, but I want to be sure I won't be adding too much weight to the floor by doing this, and compromising the structural integrity of my house. I'm planning on a thickness of about 1/4-1/2 inch. Anyone have any information on this? The internet has not been very useful so far on this question.

Exactly what kind of info do you want?
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Concrete weighs approximately 150 pounds per cubic foot. That means that every inch of concrete exerts approximately 12.5 pounds per square foot of load on your floor. Whether or not your floor can support the load of concrete requires knowledge of the bearing capacity of your floor, which you can compute if you know the size of the joists, the span, the spacing, and the species of wood. If you do not know this information, and do not know how to use it even if you have it, most recently built bathrooms are designed to carry a total load of approximately 30 pounds per square foot.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
World's Tallest Midget

And taking Mr. Holzman's information (I've done a lot of concrete unit weights, and they were all between 145-150lbs per cubic foot), concrete in a four inch slab would weight 50lbs per square foot, given a 4" slab thickness. This doesn't take into account structural steel, but you get the idea.

Okay, so I just read you want 1/4-1/2"? You can't. Just tile it.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

Perhaps I am missing something, but why not just install 1/2" cement board and tile over that (assuming you already have a subfloor in place)?
SER56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SER56 For This Useful Post:
overlooker (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #7

I can't stand tile floors. Concrete looks really great--that's why I want it. Thanks to those who gave me the means to calculate the weight.
overlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlooker View Post
I can't stand tile floors. Concrete looks really great--that's why I want it.
Gotcha So I was missing something!
SER56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #9

the right conc is more important - polymer-modified conc ( grey/white cement, water, fine aggregate [ silica carbide ] - 8' x 10' bathroom mtls weighwhich won't challenge anyone's floor joist system expanded wire mesh sheets stapled to the 15# felt-papered wood floor, 15# felt paper - pool trowel, squeegee, waterproof tape, etc - compressive strength 5,600 - flexural 700 - tensile 260 - most decorative conc artisans do this work every day as did i 'fore retirement - if you want pics, elitecrete.com or any other dec conc mfg'er has 'em

no financial int
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #10

You might want to look into light weight concrete,wich has an in place density of 90-115lbs a cubic foot as opposed to regular concrete with in place density of 140-150lbs a cubic foot, it weighs in at 3000lbs per cubic yard opposed to 4000lbs for regular concrete.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #11

lite weight gets its advantage from lighter coarse aggregate whilewtr, cement, & fine aggregate are the same + its a large PITA placing & finishing it in a small confined space,,, even a thin conc floor is much more difficult than a thin o'lay posted earlier + no risk of random cracking,,, IF you're considering in-floor elec heat, the o'lay is an excellent medium for it,,, you don't have elevation troubles, either, as, at the most, the total thickness is only 1/2",,, can't get that out of conc as most define it.

many aren't aware of possibilities 'cause apron/vest stores don't sell the stuff &
arch/engineers see it as more decorative than structural,,, its easier to decorate than ' normal ' conc, lighter, & stronger

Last edited by stadry; 12-20-2012 at 02:25 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #12

Question for the engineers:

If the concrete was placed in a 12x24 room, with the 12 dimension having bearing walls, how much of the 50 lbs/square foot could be figured to be transferred to the foundation?

I'm just thinking if the concrete supported itself, like a piece of plate metal, maybe most of the weight is transferred down on the perimeter and not on the floor joists at all.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Civil Engineer

A four inch thick concrete slab does not support itself, even if reinforced with steel. For purposes of analysis, you should assume that all of the concrete weight is carried by the joists, and none by the walls.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #14

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

cleveman -

There must be something to support your mythical self-supporting thin slab that deflects and ultimately finds a load path downward. The thinner the concrete, the more the deflection (and cracks), the more is transferred to the floors. The load goes to the floors. In any event, something has to hold up the structure in some way.

The floor load is transmitted to the joists and beams and into the walls, then down to footings and eventually into the supporting soil.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom floor, concrete