Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Waterproofing fieldstone foundation, prep and product questions

I'm getting ready to waterproof the basement walls in this 1930 house and would like to make sure I will be doing it right.

Waterproofing fieldstone foundation, prep and product questions-dscn1206_v1.jpg

How fussy do I need to get when I clean the joints? The haze from the dirt will not come off blasting it with a hose. Is there an easier, quicker way than mechanical abrasion to remove this?

Waterproofing fieldstone foundation, prep and product questions-dscn1215.jpg Waterproofing fieldstone foundation, prep and product questions-dscn1216.jpg

Is type S the correct mortar? I notice that the mortar used to bond the stones is MUCH softer than what was used for pointing, both exterior above grade, and inside the basement. Is there a way to positively ID this as lime based, or does it matter in this case?

Is a good old fashioned bucket of roofing tar the best waterproofer to use or is there something superior that won't break the bank? How long should the mortar cure before tarring?

One last thing, there is no footer, would pouring a skirt at the bottom of the wall help to keep water out from underneath? I am planning to put in a French drain along the back wall, but not on the gable end.

Waterproofing fieldstone foundation, prep and product questions-dscn1213.jpg

Sorry the post got so large and inquisitive, trying to get as much info as possible before the loooooong trip to get supplies. TIA for any info and advice.

tomshouse is offline   Reply With Quote