Waterproofing A Basement Wall - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Waterproofing a basement wall

Hi all. I am looking for suggestions for a decent waterproofing product for a basement wall.
It needs to be a paint-on/spray-on product as it is the inside walls that I would like to do.
The issue is the walls have been drywalled, but directly on the concrete, below grade walls. Needless to say the drywall is crumbling, and I want to replace it. The house foundation has been waterproofed so major water is not an issue. I will strap out the new drywall, as I don't have room to fully frame new walls.
But I want to make sure there is not more moisture coming from the wall.
Any suggestions?

Advertisement

gunner74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner74 View Post
.... looking for suggestions for a decent waterproofing product
.....foundation has been waterproofed
.....I want to make sure there is not more moisture coming from the wall.
Your foundation has not been adequately waterproofed. If your roof was leaking you would not be looking for ways to waterproof the ceiling. Basement wall waterproofing is best done from the outside. HD sells so called waterproof paint but I think in your case it would be a waste of money.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...int-70342.html

Advertisement

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The main issue I think is the condensation and lack of airflow because the drywall is attached directly to the concrete. I am hoping the strapping the wall out 3/4" will do the trick, and the waterproofing paint is an added precaution.
gunner74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,476

waterproofing is done from the exterior ( positive side ),,, water management is done from the interior ( negative side ),,, the apron/vest store's products never prevent water from entering the foundation walls where soil acids attack the cement's lime ingredient causing damage which won't be discovered until the wall fails,,, IF you're selling soon, most home inspectors are either ignorant of the future problem OR stupid - either way you'd be safe.

i agree its a ' waste of money ' but it IS YOUR $$$$$$$$$.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...int-70342.html - drylock-type products never work successfully no matter who produces them OR sells them - no professional waterproofing contractor would rely on them while guaranteeing his work
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote