Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #1

Share |

Washing machine slab

I have a terribly out of level floor our washing machine sits on. It's an old concrete floor and its not consistently out of level. I was thinking of pouring a slab to put the machine on and level it out. I get the form, I get the mesh, I get the cuts, but I don't get how to make the form itself level?

I f I cut a perfect box out of 2x4, how do I a) get it tight to the crazy contours of the floor and b) get the top level?

Also, do I need to slope slightly it at all for water run off?

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #2

Washing machine slab

The washer has 4 adjustable feet, have you tryed that first?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
DIY staff

Washing machine slab

The form doesn't need to be level---although your job will be easier if it is--

If the form is unlevel----scribe a line around the inside of the form and trowel it level to the line.

Any gaps can be filled with caulk or putty----

Make sure the form isn't going to lift up while you work.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

Washing machine slab

Yeah, no luck with the feet. It's probably fine the way I havevitvwith feet and shims but the dryer and wash are two different
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Washing machine slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
I have a terribly out of level floor our washing machine sits on. It's an old concrete floor and its not consistently out of level. I was thinking of pouring a slab to put the machine on and level it out. I get the form, I get the mesh, I get the cuts, but I don't get how to make the form itself level?

I f I cut a perfect box out of 2x4, how do I a) get it tight to the crazy contours of the floor and b) get the top level?

Also, do I need to slope slightly it at all for water run off?
Ayuh,.... just level the tops of the 2x4 form, 'n don't worry 'bout the gaps at the bottom of the form,...
Unless the gaps are HUGE, they won't matter in the least....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #6

Washing machine slab

Even if a small amount leaked out under the form it should just snap off once it's hardened with a brick chisle.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Washing machine slab

You can certainly pour a slab, as discussed above. You can also build a platform using 2x4's and a piece of plywood, that is how my washer and dryer are supported in the basement. You can shim the 2x4's to level the platform. This is a fast, inexpensive way to level your machines, but if you prefer a concrete solution note the previous recommendations.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #8

Washing machine slab

Great. 2 more questions

Do I need to anchor the slab to the floor by drilling holes and sticking in rebar or should it float. Also do I need a vapor barrier at all between the floors?

Ooh, one more. This is going to go against an existing block wall that's pretty old I was going to use that as the 4th leg of the form. I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to transfer the vibrations to that wall and I should leave a gap?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

Washing machine slab

you could anchor to existing floor but that's overkill impo,,, than again, a 4' piece of expansion jnt material's cheap @ the apron/vest store.

normally ixnay on rebar in a 4" slab however you're placing a slab 2x as long as wide so its very possible it'll crack somewhere in/near the middle unless you scribe in a contraction jnt at the 1/2way dimension of length,,, might still crk but it'll crk where YOU want it rather than show up as a random crk.

any vapor barrier's also o'kill,,, any possible vibration will be transferred to the floor/wall no matter what you do,,, the idea is reducingvibration ( rubber pads under the appliance's feet should resolve that part tho )

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #10

Washing machine slab

Ok great. I think I've got the concrete side of this down. If I wanted to do a wood platform instead, wouldn't I run into the same issue of the floor not being level?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #11

Washing machine slab

that's why the apron/vest stores sell shims &const adhesive, laddie

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote