Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

Want to fill old hot tub hole in basement.

I've got an 11'x10'3"x2' hole in my basement from a previous owner who wanted to install a hot tub of sorts. It's concreted on the sides and bottom.
I want to fill the hole and lay a concrete slab on top so I can put down carpet and have a regular room instead of a room with a hole.
What should i fill the hole with?
Sand, gravel? A mix?
How thick should my final slab be and do i need to support it with rebar?
The rest of the room is concrete.
Thanks!

konacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

I would fill it is stone and pour a 4" slab on top. A few rebar pins into the existing floor will keep the new slab level if the stone settles underneath. I have also seen this done with no fill underneath. Build a platform with plywood on top and pour the slab. Rebar pins are required for this option.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #3

How is best to set those rebar pins? Do I drill into the concrete below and simply place them, or do they go flush on the concrete as it lays?
konacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

bank run or washed gravel would be my choice,,, you should place the fill in compact'd ' llifts ' ( layers ),,, i'd choose 6" lifts depending on the suitability of the mtl

rebar adds flexural strength to the patch but not compressive strength,,, consider installing #4 horizontal bars grouted into drilled horizontal holes into the existing slab,,, i'd also install a vapor barrier under the conc ( on top of the compact'd fill ),,, that's almost 7cy of fill + 113sf of 4" conc,,, it'll deep you out of trouble for several days place the new floor at the same thickness as the existing floor.

good luck !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote