Using Masonry, Natural Stone, Or Faux Stone On Basement Walls? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Using masonry, natural stone, or faux stone on basement walls?

I'm considering making an unfinished basement habitable.
When we moved in 3 years ago, water came into the cinder-block basement with every rain. So we fixed that. Dug tile runs for each downspout with popups away from the house, regraded the soil outside, and now it seems fine.
We have a dehumidifier in the basement that does draw water out every day. It probably runs 12 hours a day. I personally hate the thought of drywall and wood holding in the moisture that clearly wicks through the cinder block walls.. It sounds like a recipe for mold and decay.
I'm thinking about affixing masonry products (ex: thin brick veneer), natural stone (something permeable... Say travertine) or cultured faux stone to the exterior walls so that if a driving rain DOES cause a temporary appearance of water down the road, it isn't catastrophic.
Any suggestions? Good idea, bad idea? If I use a permeable material with mortar, will it allow continued normal evaporation process? Will the mortar hold? Will particulates stain the materials through the evaporative process?

Advertisement

Minich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Using masonry, natural stone, or faux stone on basement walls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minich View Post
I'm considering making an unfinished basement habitable.
When we moved in 3 years ago, water came into the cinder-block basement with every rain. So we fixed that. Dug tile runs for each downspout with popups away from the house, regraded the soil outside, and now it seems fine.
We have a dehumidifier in the basement that does draw water out every day. It probably runs 12 hours a day. I personally hate the thought of drywall and wood holding in the moisture that clearly wicks through the cinder block walls.. It sounds like a recipe for mold and decay.

Good thoughts, and kudos for understanding that the only place for vapor to migrate is IN......

I'm thinking about affixing masonry products (ex: thin brick veneer), natural stone (something permeable... Say travertine) or cultured faux stone to the exterior walls so that if a driving rain DOES cause a temporary appearance of water down the road, it isn't catastrophic.
Any suggestions? Good idea, bad idea?

I think it's a good idea, but it's going to be more expensive and time consuming than drywall, and have little to no insulation value, which is enough to turn most people away....

If I use a permeable material with mortar, will it allow continued normal evaporation process?

Yes.......

Will the mortar hold?

If installed correctly, and the water transmission isn't severe, then yes....

Will particulates stain the materials through the evaporative process?
There is a chance that the masonry could accumulate some efflorresence if there's major water intrusion...

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote