Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using Epoxy to repair hole in stucco

Can anyone tell me is it standard practice to repair a hole in stucco with epoxy?
I am building a new home and the exterior is stucco. The construction crew know a small hole in the side of the house and chipped a corner on the house on the other side. The contruction crew use epoxy to fill the hole and the chip then painted over it. I believe it should be repaired with the same construction material that it was originally, but maybe I'm wrong. Can someone help me with this question?

Thanks

Afroramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Traditional stucco or Dryvit?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I believe it is traditional stucco.
Afroramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Abatron was my go to supplier for epoxy restoration products for antique homes and other projects (selfishly, like racing sailboat railings) for decades. They offer great customer support that will not try to sell you something of theirs if it will not work. From my experience they will even refer you to a product source that works better if they can and know of it. If you have time, I would just call them and ask?

http://www.abatron.com/

Oh'Mike raises a good point though. To answer your question directly, I would not hesitate to use an epoxy repair resin scheme on real stucco. I would hate to find the super hot catalytic chemical reaction curing the epoxy melted a synthetic. That could create a worse situation than you have.

Hate the stuff for most things but perhaps a colored silicone injected to fill the cavity might be a better choice if it is synthetic. You will not be able to paint over pure silicone though so get or mix something close in color before injecting it. And pick up a good book of swear words not one of which is allowed on this site for the day you have to carve the miserable stuff out of your way down the road.

Last edited by user1007; 05-03-2013 at 07:27 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,156

unusual for traditional stucco to be used rather'n the synthetics these days, isn't it ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
unusual for traditional stucco to be used rather'n the synthetics these days, isn't it ?
That's kind of a regional thing and we don't know where the OP is from. Some areas have building codes that don't allow the synthetic type. The traditional type is obviously much more expensive, but a much better product in the long run.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,156

no, we don't know where he is,,, NOR did i know some areas do NOT allow synthetic stucco ( dryvit, sto, etc ) that's a new 1 for me - THANKS for the note

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stucco repair