Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #1

Share |

Unused fireplace stack behind refrigerator

Hi All,

I have a fireplace chimney stack right behind my fridge which makes the fridge stick out about 1.5 feet forward and not aligned with my counter top. The fireplace is in the way only on the right side about 1 feet. Would it be advised to chip away at the fireplace that 1 foot to the left and the height of the fridge until I can push the fridge all the way back?

If not advised, how else can I deal with this problem besides removing the entire fireplace. Is this something I have to just deal with?

Thanks.

llckll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by llckll View Post
Hi All,

I have a fireplace chimney stack right behind my fridge which makes the fridge stick out about 1.5 feet forward and not aligned with my counter top. The fireplace is in the way only on the right side about 1 feet. Would it be advised to chip away at the fireplace that 1 foot to the left and the height of the fridge until I can push the fridge all the way back?

If not advised, how else can I deal with this problem besides removing the entire fireplace. Is this something I have to just deal with?

Thanks.
That would not be a good idea, you could have brick or what ever the flue is made of crumble and hurt you. That flue surely goes through the roof and that is a lot of weight to have above your head especially when the support has been damaged by having a foot of it chipped away. Your best bet would be to get a qualified mason out there to give you advise.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

1.What is the chimney breast built of (brick,conc. block?)
2. how wide is it? (side to side).
3. one-storey or two stories high?

If the chimney is sufficiently wide, and built of brick, it is sometimes possible to cut a portion of it away. If the brickwork is in good condition, it will self-support due to the 'corbelling' effect, so long as there is sufficient width left.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #4

Your going to have to at least post a picture for even some guesses.
Someone would have to be on site to look the whole thing over, not people on the net that have never seen it and could be just about anyone.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote