Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

Share |

Trenching slab, what to use

I putting a new floor down in kitchen and I want to bury radiator line under the slab. Would a small breaker hammer do this or create cracks in the slab? Thought about a concrete saw but the dust will be bad. Only need to go 6 feet.

Joe442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

I would use a rotohammer with a point bit and chip away at it, or since you are only going 6' you could use the old faithful sledge hammer. As long as the slab isn't massively thick it shouldn't take you a long time either way.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

The only way I'd think to do it without cracking the slab would be the saw. Just tarp everything and the dust will be contained.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #4

I got the small demo hammer this morning. I did have to hang plastic as this was very dusty as well. Looks like a little Dexter room. You have to know the show to know what I'm talking about.

Did the job no cracks. Started with the wide chisel to outline and then the pointy one down the middle. Taking up the rest of my ceramic tile before I bring it back so was worth getting this. If I was to do it again and only need to trench I would go with the saw since the dust was bad either way.

Trenching slab, what to use-img_1971.jpg
Joe442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

We do lots of this, although it's almost always in the basement floor here. An electric 14" cut-off saw with a water mist, as well as someone sucking up the slurry before it runs too far away, is the least obtrusive way I've found yet. Very little dust, fast, no fumes, and the easiest to patch back into.......
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote