Tips On Using Self Leveler - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tips on using self leveler

I had a basement floor that looked like it was poured by a DIYer, as it was full of flaws. I spent some serious money buying tile self leveler in the hopes that I would get a good finished look. While it is better, it is far from perfect. I still have ridges. I couldn't even tile over this if I wanted to. We ended up just painting it and calling it an expensive experiment.

Where did I go wrong? We mixed it according to directions, poured the bags, and quickly, gently encouraged it to spread with a squeege. I didn't touch it after a minute or so. It had the texture of a milkshake. At 30 bucks a bag, and lots of bags, it was labor intensive and not cheap. It looked great until it dried and I saw all the flaws--little bumps where the two bags didn't go together, little ridges where the sqeege skipped or indentations that didn't level out. Is that stuff that tricky to use? I don't know how anyone would lay tile on it. Thanks

Advertisement

jerrygallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,680

i have only used it once. and i am not "sure" i did it "right". but the stuff is not all they say it is. if you don't have a lot of experience "helping" it level itself, it not going to be "flat".

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 580

I've used a random orbital sander with course paper to buff it out better.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,680

i found mine was somewhat soft. a scraper was easily able to take down any bumps.
but isn't self level used so one doesn't have to do that. nothings perfect.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,458

think its fairly easy to use IF 1st one has 250b experience under their belt as a mixer squeegee work is also ' tricky ' as is the magic trowel part of the process,,, its not common, in my experience, to find many new guys on a good crew,,, the mtls we use aren't commonly avail to diy'ers, either.

IF you had bought the mtl from a specialty supplier, there would've been a larger selection of avail mtls,,, 2nd, you could have gotten in-depth advice,,, & 3rd, you would've had a telephone # to call which would'be been answered by someone who could've walk'd you thru the issue,,, this is all based on the assumption you got it @ an apron/vest store tho

ps - none of the self-level mtls really are they just ' say ' they are on the bag

Last edited by stadry; 11-01-2013 at 06:55 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
ps - none of the self-level mtls really are they just ' say ' they are on the bag
Bingo. They should call it "almost self leveling compound".
I used it only once myself. Actually, it sands very easily when it has set up, but not cured (maybe 3-6 hours). I was lucky, only a small area to level. The other thing I learned was to buy the cheap mixer with only a quarter inch rod doing the mixing. I bought the expensive one with the big propellers to mix the stuff --- drill started smoking (but survived).

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote