Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling over concrete joints on patio

Hi,

I am a homeowner considering having porcelain tile installed over a 600sqft concrete slab on my patio (around 30 yrs old or so).

My main concern is that the slab is divided into 4 sections by bricks, which create big joint lines (please see the pics for more detail). Although there are no apparent cracks (except for a thin one), I am afraid to tile on top of it all to find out a year or so later that there is floor movement and ruin my tiles.

I have been told that it was not a problem at all, that it is a big concern, I have heard about "Schluter®-DITRA", I have been told about "adding a membrane on top of the joints", so at this point I am confused as to which way to go (or not go).

I am considering having the concrete stamped instead (I had it done in my driveway 3 years ago and it still looks good) but I would rather go with the tiles if safe.

Thank you for any gidance you can share.

Best,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling over concrete joints on patio-patio-concrete-slab-divided-bricks-1.jpg  

roncarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncarvalho View Post
Hi,

I am a homeowner considering having porcelain tile installed over a 600sqft concrete slab on my patio (around 30 yrs old or so).

My main concern is that the slab is divided into 4 sections by bricks, which create big joint lines (please see the pics for more detail). Although there are no apparent cracks (except for a thin one), I am afraid to tile on top of it all to find out a year or so later that there is floor movement and ruin my tiles.

I have been told that it was not a problem at all, that it is a big concern, I have heard about "Schluter®-DITRA", I have been told about "adding a membrane on top of the joints", so at this point I am confused as to which way to go (or not go).

I am considering having the concrete stamped instead (I had it done in my driveway 3 years ago and it still looks good) but I would rather go with the tiles if safe.

Thank you for any gidance you can share.

Best,
Ron

I'd say it's a gamble going either way but hey,it's your call.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
roncarvalho (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

I'm not really a gambler type of guy, so I will likely go the stamped concrete route with stencil...
roncarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Do you really think that patio's that old? I'd guess less than 10 years from the small picture, but I'm sure there's a good reason you want to cover it. Personally, I think you need a decoupling membrane at a very minimum, as I see no way those joints aren't going to telegraph throw in a short amount of time.............
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
roncarvalho (08-28-2012)