Tile Over Previously Stained Concrete Patio. - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Tile over previously stained concrete patio.

I have a 9' x 26' exterior concrete patio. About 5 years ago I applied Behr's Concrete "Siliconized" Stain. I now want to lay ceramic / porcelain tile over that. Besides cleaning with TSP and some pressure cleaning what else should I do?
The patio is covered but 2 sides are open to the weather.

thanks!

Advertisement

fredm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,472

notwithstanding any discussion on the quality of behr products before OR after the apron store work'd a deal w/'em, 1st test the area to be sure that original sealer will not inhibit the adhesive qualities of tile mud & grout,,, if it were our work, we'd advise NOT to install tile where the site is to rain & freeze/thaw cycles,,, tile's not meant for such exterior use,,, posting your location would've been a boon to relevant advice,,, other responders will also agree

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #3

I knew I forgot something...I live in Miami, Florida. There were some snow flurries once in the 70's! What would be a good way to test the adhesion quality?

thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

bbbrrrrrrrrrr,,, put some mud down, place a tile, let it cure, then try to displace it ? ? ? other'n that, i don't know,,, i know a little about o'lays, stains, & repairing conc but less about tile
Old 04-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Palm Bay , Florida here. I had the same problem, Behr stain on concrete. After talking to many, I decided to experiment. I mixed up some thinset, applied it and let it cure. I had a tough time getting it off, so I figured that it would hold the tiles tight. Patio has been done for 4 months now (my first floor tile job) and it is holding tight and looks great. Try it and see.
freddyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #6

We talked to a local retail flooring store and they said they would sand down the surface to provide better adhesion. The cost for that is only .35 / sq ft.
We are going to look around for another week or so before we make a final decision.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 624

I recently did a test on a slab which had had some pvc removed from it, using paint thinner among other things.

I used Mapei ultraflex 1 and backbuttered the tile (porcelain). After two days curing in 55 degree temp, I went back and removed the three tile pieces. They call came off and left the mortar intact with the concrete. The back of the tile was fairly clean and left a perfect imprint in the thinset.

This tells me that the bond to the concrete was stronger than the bond to the tile, which is what one would expect. It also tells me that there is no reason to upgrade to ultraflex 2.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #8

i suspect the sanding's to remove any trace of sealer from the floor's high spots,,, you can sand it yourself but not for the $82.00 they quoted

Advertisement

Last edited by stadry; 04-16-2013 at 05:33 AM.