Suggestions Needed - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Suggestions Needed

Purchased a home built in 1900 that has been upgraded and remodeled over the years. The foundation is stone and pretty sound. However in certain areas of the home they poured apron walls on the exterior of the stone and never really flashed the walls to the concrete properly. The home has no gutters so the run off from the roof splashes off the apron and up against the siding.

My question is how would you properly flash/seal this kind of situation (pic enclosed)
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions Needed-rot.jpg  

Advertisement

johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

Suggestions Needed

A little late now to do much but try a do a stop gap fix.
No siding, sheathing, wood should have been that close to grade.
Going to have to pull off the bottom rows of siding and those outside corner boards to see just how bad it is under it.
Very often it's rotted out the outside corner and bottom plate, which in your house may well be a 4 X 6 beam instead of a rim joist.
Old houses did not have any pressure treated lumber.
I'd wait untill warmer weather if it was mine, the damage has been done and it's not going anyplace.
Jobs like this can become a can of worms real quick.
Got to get some gutters on there ASAP.

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #3

Suggestions Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A little late now to do much but try a do a stop gap fix.
No siding, sheathing, wood should have been that close to grade.
Going to have to pull off the bottom rows of siding and those outside corner boards to see just how bad it is under it.
Very often it's rotted out the outside corner and bottom plate, which in your house may well be a 4 X 6 beam instead of a rim joist.
Old houses did not have any pressure treated lumber.
I'd wait untill warmer weather if it was mine, the damage has been done and it's not going anyplace.
Jobs like this can become a can of worms real quick.
Got to get some gutters on there ASAP.
Yeah kinda cold indeed. That's my plan tackle it in the spring. This is one of many corners but these older homes had no building code.

On the repair side of this I don't want to replace the siding to the grade next time. How would one flash this concrete structure to the exterior wall?? Maybe I have this in the wrong section of the forum??? Or would you flash a few courses of siding up and replace and paint new siding and keep it painted?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

Suggestions Needed

Once the rotted structural lumber is replaced I'd apply Ice and Water shield over the studs and plate, add a piece of vinyl lumber, a strip of Z moulding then reinstall the siding.
That whole corner piece could be replaced with vinyl 5/4 lumber. (1X is to thin)
Sort of like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=78
Old 01-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #5

Suggestions Needed

Awesome!! Thanks for the help joe!! You're a good man!!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

Suggestions Needed

That sounds like a good plan. We use to cut the siding off just high enough to put a 1X12 with the flashing or a drip cap. Replace the corners first with material that won't rot, like Joe said. Now days they have 1X12 stuff that won't rot, so that would be the best way to me and it would look good.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Suggestions Needed

Well I pulled the siding back since it's gonna be 50 this weekend thought I might tackle this 5 foot wall. Come to find out the studs run down to the brick/stone foundation. There is no sill plate and the studs are rotten about 3" up (framed 24" center)

Should I just scab PT to the studs and run down to the brick, or try to get some sort of sill in there first?
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions Needed-rot2.jpg   Suggestions Needed-rot3.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #8

Suggestions Needed

OK looks worse than it is. Pulled the loose brick out and took a closer look. I can cut the studs back about 3" then install a conventional sill plate, sister the studs and then follow joecaptions advice to seal it up using PVC ect...

What would you recommend to fill the voids and gaps beneath the new sill plate? It's a stone/brick foundation so I was thinking along the lines of concrete or hydraulic cement......need it to set up quickly
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

Suggestions Needed

Very happy with the outcome. Was able to cut back 4 rotten studs and sneak a double 2X4 sill plate in. Sister-ed the 2X4's 12" or so. Screwed everything together rock solid. Then from there followed joecaptions advice with the membrane and pvc trim boards....very happy!! Thanks again guys
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions Needed-rot-repair.jpg  

Advertisement