Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Seasoned Noob

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Suggestions for my 14x14 concrete patio

I just built a new home and have a 14x14 raised patio between two "wings" of my home. Just a boring space that needs something. . . .

I was planning to put some outdoor tile down as that is something I can do myself (if anyone has a quick link to a thread on how to do outdoor tile i'd appreciate it)

However, on the home shows, the pebble & epoxy resurfacing has been pretty popular and my wife likes the look. However, it's about $9-10 per sq/ft which is a lot more than we wanted to spend.

Also need to pour two steps to replace the wobbly wooden stairs provided by the builder - i've never worked with concrete - is this something you think a somewhat comeptant DIY'er can do?

Thanks

RJ

hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

How about a picture?

If the exposed stone look is what your looking for then it needed to be done as part of the orginal mix.
There's been dozen of people on this site that have had the epoxy and stone top coats and all were failing. They were having stones come loose and wanted to know how to reglue the stones back in place.
Once it starts to fail it's just one big mess.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Seasoned Noob

Rewards Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How about a picture?

If the exposed stone look is what your looking for then it needed to be done as part of the orginal mix.
There's been dozen of people on this site that have had the epoxy and stone top coats and all were failing. They were having stones come loose and wanted to know how to reglue the stones back in place.
Once it starts to fail it's just one big mess.
I don't have a pic - it's essentially a 14x14 square divided into quadrants by expansion joints atop a concrete block foundation about 2.75ft off the ground. Three sides butt against the house. It's about 8 mos old.

I'm not keen on the pebble/epoxy either - but hte wife likes it so I must consider it

I've always planned to tile it - I've never tiled an outdoor area though and wasnt sure how to handle the expansion joints. It it as simple as tiling indoors which I've done numerous times?
hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote