Stucco On Poured Concrete Walls - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Stucco on poured concrete walls

Have just finished hanging all the metal lath on my painted poured concrete walls. This is in my basement. The guy who will be doing my stucco said he will use only two coats, brown coat and finish coat. I have read that when applying stucco over lath you have to use three coats,scratch, brown,then finish. Any ideas? The walls are painted. They have a stamped brick pattern and there are voids that will need to be filled in.

Stucco on poured concrete walls-image-4258172299.jpg

Advertisement

bestways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

2 coats should be fine for that application.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

In your case, 2 should be fine. I just had the stucco done on my house...the last coat is actually called a color coat and is really nothing more than about an 1/8" layer of stucco with the color applied.

I'm assuming he is going to give you a smooth finish....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #4

Okay. Base coat is done over lath. Looks good. In a couple areas I noticed it seemed to dry quicker. I noticed a horizontal stretch about two feet long that was lighter in color. When I tapped my finger nail it seemed to have a ting to it. Seems to have a void behind it. There are only a couple areas that seem to do this. Is this normal or should I have my stucco guy look at it before the finish coat.?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

Unless you expect the wall to get a lot of abuse...I wouldn't worry about it. Your second coat is going to add more thickness...so I'm sure it will be plenty strong.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #6

Okay. Stucco is up and looks great. Next step is sealing. I would like to use a good penetrating sealer that will also breath. I've been looking and many of the breathable sealers say not recommend for below grade. Does this mean exterior below grade? Any recommendations?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestways View Post
Okay. Stucco is up and looks great. Next step is sealing. I would like to use a good penetrating sealer that will also breath. I've been looking and many of the breathable sealers say not recommend for below grade. Does this mean exterior below grade? Any recommendations?

http://www.prosoco.com/Products/d113...e-b0006e080476

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote