Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Stucco basement walls

Plan to stucco my basement walls. They are poured concrete walls that have been painted. I am going to hang wire lathe. Questions...
1- Do I need paper backed lathe? I don't think so but thought I'd ask.

2- do I need expansion joints. If so, what is the best method?

Thanks!

bestways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Stucco basement walls

No way in a million years would I suggest doing that.
Stucco will act like a sponge and soak up the moisture that's sure to be in those walls.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

Stucco basement walls

The stucco is masonry.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #4

Stucco basement walls

In these kind of situations it is always good to ask for the problem that one is trying to solve.

The concrete walls have been painted, and if within the last few decades probably a latex paint. That's what we've got as a starting condition.

Where do we need to go? That's what we want to end up with. The best way to get there is the solution that we seek.

Bestways, just exactly what problem are you trying to solve, for which you thought the stucco might be the solution?
Pro Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

Stucco basement walls

No problems. What kind of problems would stucco solve??? It's simply decorative... I am turning this portion of the basement into a usable area. Stucco dries just as the concrete walls do. I don't want to close up the walls with framing and drywall and have hidden problems later... Never been wet before but it is a basement. Stucco goes on the exterior and can tolerate wetness and breathes to dry out. Stucco does not soak up water like a sponge. It does not hold water... It may wick moisture through the concrete wall but it will evaporate before I ever see it just as the water that is currently passing through my walls. Anyway, any answers out there to the original post?

Last edited by bestways; 07-16-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #6

Stucco basement walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestways View Post
No problems. What kind of problems would stucco solve??? It's simply decorative... I am turning this portion of the basement into a usable area. Stucco dries just as the concrete walls do. I don't want to close up the walls with framing and drywall and have hidden problems later... Never been wet before but it is a basement. Stucco goes on the exterior and can tolerate wetness and breathes to dry out. Stucco does not soak up water like a sponge. It does not hold water... It may wick moisture through the concrete wall but it will evaporate before I ever see it just as the water that is currently passing through my walls. Anyway, any answers out there to the original post?
Then stucco it is.

What it now comes down to is that stucco won't stick by itself to a painted surface, so either a messy sandblasting project or a wire mesh support mechanically fastened to the existing wall is what you should plan on doing.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Pro

Stucco basement walls

If you have a sound, stable, dry concrete wall, I can't think of a good reason not to fasten some wire lath and stucco it.

Paper backed? No reason.

Expansion joints? Probably not, unless it's an awfully big basement wall. Is it cracked? Moving?
CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #8

Stucco basement walls

before you set yourself up for disappointment & more expense later on, 1st do a simple moisture test,,, you may discover you do have 1 out of 1,000 homes that was waterproofed - NOT just damp-proofed to pass code rqmts

tape a 2.0 x 2.0 plastic sheet to the wall - IF, after 2 days, there's collected moisture behind the sheet, you have moisture issues,,, IF its on the room-side, you have high humidity,,, once determining the level of moisture, have at it - whatever you decide to do.

IF you can rent an aurand hand scarifier, that's the best tool for wall prep,,, 2nd best is a bushing tool on a bosch chipping gun
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #9

Stucco basement walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
before you set yourself up for disappointment & more expense later on, 1st do a simple moisture test,,, you may discover you do have 1 out of 1,000 homes that was waterproofed - NOT just damp-proofed to pass code rqmts

tape a 2.0 x 2.0 plastic sheet to the wall - IF, after 2 days, there's collected moisture behind the sheet, you have moisture issues,,, IF its on the room-side, you have high humidity,,, once determining the level of moisture, have at it - whatever you decide to do.

IF you can rent an aurand hand scarifier, that's the best tool for wall prep,,, 2nd best is a bushing tool on a bosch chipping gun

That's sensible, but would you need to do that to the painted wall surface for the moisture test? If the present paint is not blistering, does that suggest moisture may not be an issue?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #10

Stucco basement walls

the op's 7.15 post: ' ,,,water... It may wick moisture through the concrete wall but it will evaporate before I ever see it just as the water that is currently passing through my walls. ' Anyway, any answers out there,,, '

you are also correct, pro
Old 07-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

Stucco basement walls

Okay. I have one hair line crack that only goes halfway down the wall and then can't see it. It is about 1/16" and I have monitored it for the past 4 years and it has not changed or moved. There are also hairline cracks at a couple inside corners and they have not changed either. Are you saying if I do have a moisture problem then it can present a problem behind the stucco??? How? I will do a check but I believe I am okay...
Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #12

Stucco basement walls

the easiest AND cheapest method to determine crack movement is to plaster the crack @ several intervals,,, IF you consider your very fine home's basement similar to a ship's hull below the waterline, it should be easier to understand why you have OR will have water issues,,, then again, you might not now OR ever but a reasonable & prudent owner will ascertain that prior to investing more $

now go do something outside & let me & pro take our naps
Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

Stucco basement walls

I may be an idiot here but still confused. I am going the stucco route to avoid possible water problems. I thought about using rigid foam boards against foundation walls, frame, and drywall in front of that.

I chose the stucco route to avoid possible water problems and it not being able to dry.. Stucco is 99% of the time applied on the exterior of buildings and most of the time directly to concrete or block walls. If it can be done on the exterior without water issues how can it present a problem inside. It is simply another coat of concrete/masonry to the walls. The walls will perform the same with or without stucco on them... Not trying to be annoying but need to know why you are worried about water with stucco.

I don't plan on having water issues down there but even if I did I am not concerned with the stucco getting wet. It dries with no issues and does not trap water or moisture.

I can see your concern if I was framing and insulating with fiberglass. Now that is a sponge and breeding ground for mold...

Its dark here and I can't work outside now

Last edited by bestways; 07-18-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #14

Stucco basement walls

for the record, i never even thought of the word ' idiot ' but,,,,, since you raised the issue

what possible coating could 1 apply to a subterranean basement wall on the INSIDE to keep water from penetrating the wall from the OUTSIDE ? answser - not 1 damn'd thing,,, 1 could prevent water from showing up INSIDE for a short time however any invisible damage would still occur & not be apparent til the wall collapsed,,, the likelihood of that happending to a conc wall is much less than masonary block, of course

' Stucco is 99% of the time applied on the exterior of buildings ',,, you make our point but don't accept it yourself so show us the 1% when its applied to the inside of a bsmt wall ?

yes, it dries w/no issues so howcum there are folk who specialize in repairing it ? only prudent owners & conscientious builders plan for water issues in basements,,, that's my opinion - yours obviously is at odds