Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Stone Veneer over terra cotta tile

I have a fireplace with existing terra cotta tile, which is in good shape. No hollow spots. I would like to install some Eldorado stone veneer. I can't get a straight answer from the home depot and lowes guys.

I do not know if I need to install lathe to ensure a good bond. The big box store guys were stumped of course, never hearing that question. One of my flooring installer friends said to prime the tile using a pourious and nonporous primer. I can't seem to find an answer online either.

I was hoping I didn't need to install lathe since drilling into the terra cotta to adhere the lathe will likely break the tiles. I hope a primer with 2 coats is good enough.

Any help would be great. I don't want to do this wrong or spend unneeded time or money.

triumphtriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

The correct and best way to do it is to remove the tile then attach the lathe to the cement board underneath it. I certainly wouldn't trust using just a primer on a vertical surface, it's probably okay for a floor area but not here.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 72

Have you been on the company that made the stones web site to check there directions?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 12

why do you care if the tile breaks - you're covering them,,, if it were me, i'd mechanically attach expanded metal lath w/proper fittings - conc screws, lead lags, etc,,, imo, its more important knowing what's underneath the tiles
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Depending on how solid and smooth the terra cotta is, I'd likely put a slurry coat over it first, allow to dry, and see how well it held the next day. If you can peel it off relatively easy, then you may need lath. If you're confident it will hold, thinset/mortar stone right to it............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
why do you care if the tile breaks - you're covering them,,, if it were me, i'd mechanically attach expanded metal lath w/proper fittings - conc screws, lead lags, etc,,, imo, its more important knowing what's underneath the tiles
This is what I did. I put a anchor about every 6". Just finished and going to start doing the scratch coat. Thank you.

triumphtriple is offline   Reply With Quote