Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Stone Veneer over Durarock

I want to stick stone veneer to durarock (cement board often used for tiling in place of a mortar bed). The location is some outside square columns for a back patio cover. Any reason not to use thin set to do this? The veneer will stack without mortar joints.

Hershel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

What will keep the water from entering the corners of the column where the Durock is cut to width?

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

I'm using all premanufactured corners (Pro Fit Ledgestone) so there is no exposed corner and the only potential place of water entry is where the corner pieces butt together. I guess the implication of your question is that water will deteriorate the thinset if it gets back there?
Hershel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #4

I'm appying stone veneer on cement board with type S mortar. I've had a few come loose on the first row and I'm not sure why. Does it matter what side of the cement board should be used? I placed the side with the instructions adgainst the house with the smooth side out. I'm wondering is the smooth side should be scored, or if my mortor wasn't missed correctly.
wellbornd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Yes, you installed the Durock the wrong way, the rougher side should go out.

Now, I'd suggest making a slurry out of straight cement, bondign agent, and water, and "painting" it over the entire surface. The rougher the better, and let it dry overnight before continuing. It certainly wouldn't hurt to use a little bit of bonding agent in each batch of mortar either at this point......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #6

This method is possible, but...

Make sure to use 1/2" durock
Make sure there is NO flex in the durock. Screw down very tightly.
You want to apply a nice scratch coat with a 1/4 notched trowel. Also make sure to wrap the column with tar paper over the wood before you install the durock to act as a moisture barrier.

Do not use thin set. Always use Type S or N mortar for stone veneer despite what any home depot or lowes idiot might suggest.

It is very important to apply a scratch coat to help hold the stones once installed. With out the scratch coat, stones will very easily break bond during installation on a flat surfac and you could be in for trouble.

GL

TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote