Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Share |

Stone veneer over CMU foundation

I have a CMU stem wall foundation on my home. I want to put a limestone or similar veneer over the CMU blocks but have a few questions about the correct method of attaching it, or supporting it rather. I know the thin veneer runs about an inch thick and from what I have read about 14 lbs per sq ft. I have approximately 275 sq ft of foundation exposed which calculates up to 3,850 lbs not including a substrate or adhesive and fasteners. I was just looking to get a few opinions on what the following things :

- What the best way to fasten the stone veneer would be
- Whether or not there might be adverse effects to attaching directly to the foundation(weight of the stone in particular)
- Whether or not there may be any adverse effects to bringing the stone veneer down to grade to completely cover the visible CMU
- Any pointers from anybody who may have tackled a similar project like this before.

This is my first post here and the DIY forum and I'm looking forward to hearing some of your ideas. Thanks in advance.

Corey
Cgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #2

To further elaborate, I have a general idea of how the stone should attach. I guess I am just looking on some pointers as of what to use for this application (mortar wise). I'm also sort of looking to got from the top down. I don't have any sort of brick ledge and the terrain slopes a little around the house so I think top to bottom would keep the stone "meshing" together for a lack of a better word and then the end would just run below grade. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

This will be pretty simple.

Lift the house up and remove the top three courses of block. Re-lay course three down with a corbel. Then re-lay the two course on top of it and put your veneer on the corbel.

Done.

If you want another 8 or 16" of headroom in the basement, this would be the time to get it.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

I was trying to steer clear of lifting the house if at all possible I like your enthusiasm though. If me and you had the same definition of pretty simple I would probably be a whole lot handier than I am. Looking over some of the product data for the stone veneer it says that in some applications a brick ledge may not be required. Not that I am saying its not required, I'm by no means qualified to make that choice. If it is definitely required though I think I'm going to lean more towards adding a brick ledge by means of angle iron or other method. I'm not saying this is the right way to do it but I've seen this stuff put on flower beds and retaining walls before sitting flat on the ground using liquid nail as an adhesive. But...if I was the kind of guy who just jumped on a project and did it like his neighbor did I probably wouldn't be asking some seasoned masonry workers for help. An other ideas that don't involve lifting the house?

P.S. just for the sake of accuracy, no basement. It's just a crawlspace foundation
Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You are over-thinking it a trying to create potential problem scenarios.

If the adhered masonry material is not good or if the installation was half-way descent there, should be no problem with a proper adhered material, since there are thousands of much higher jobs with no shelf for a thin, light material.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #6

I guess the easiest way would be to go with a lick and stick cultured stone product. I'm not sure what happens where these meet grade, and I don't know your location.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #7

This is the type of application adhered veneer is designed for. Figure 14 pounds per square foot dead load, if you are concerned, but the bottom line is that all you have to do is thinset the stone to the CMU.

The Devil is in the details, of course.

Clean and dry surface for application.

Flash over the stone from the existing siding.

End the adhered veneer 4" above grade.