Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Share |

stone fireplace

Not sure if this the appropriate place for this...
Anyways I have this tall stone fireplace from the 70s. I will attach a pic. I took the old wood burning insert out and will be installing another this summer.

I need some ideas on how to prepare this for a refacing. At first I was thinking of ripping this all down... But as it being 16' tall and its all concrete and large stones, not sure how to do this safely. I just need to somehow get a flat surface... The bottom half of the stone wall stick out a good bit more than the top half so not sure if mudding it would help much. Thanks for any suggestions.

tool man Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

stone fireplace

stone fireplace-forumrunner_20140320_133008.jpg

Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #3

stone fireplace

A lot will depend on what you are planning on putting over the existing stone. Personally, I think the stone looks very nice and fits the style of the home but that's my opinion and you want to do something different. Tell us a little more about what you are planning on doing and we may be able to help you some more.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

stone fireplace

Yea I agree. It does fit the house... The exterior of the house has this same rock. The rock on the exterior however looks much better and we like it. On the fireplace it doesn't look as good... The joints are much bigger and that spot right above the opening and right below the mantel is just flat concrete and looks strange.

As far as what we planned to do is up in the air ... Originally was planning a stack stone look but no decision has been made... I have seen some bare concrete facing on fireplaces that I like also. I'm kinda concerned that a stack stone would look out of place since the exterior has this type of stone work.

stone fireplace-forumrunner_20140320_220815.jpg
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

stone fireplace

Most of the manufacturers of the stacked stone facings have recommendations and requirements for attachment and bonding. Best to stay within their guidelines.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #6

stone fireplace

Thanks. Yea Im with u on that 100%.
Guess my question is what would someone with experience do to this fireplace as far as preparing it to be refaced...
Because no matter what its going to be refaced with it needs to be square and flat.
Tearing this out and framing a flat surface would obviously work... If this is recommended how would you tear this out safely?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

stone fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool man Taylor View Post
Thanks. Yea Im with u on that 100%.
Guess my question is what would someone with experience do to this fireplace as far as preparing it to be refaced...
Because no matter what its going to be refaced with it needs to be square and flat.
Tearing this out and framing a flat surface would obviously work... If this is recommended how would you tear this out safely?
Ayuh,.... Ya kinda gotta know exactly What ya wanta see there, before you can come up with a plan to get there,....

Stucco it,..??....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #8

stone fireplace

Youre right about that.
I guess in my mind its either going to be tile or stacked stone. Which is why I suspect they both need a flat surface ( I know tile does anyways). I never thought about stucco.

Let's say we are prepping for a stacked stone since that's what we originally planned.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

stone fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool man Taylor View Post
Youre right about that.
I guess in my mind its either going to be tile or stacked stone. Which is why I suspect they both need a flat surface ( I know tile does anyways). I never thought about stucco.

Let's say we are prepping for a stacked stone since that's what we originally planned.
Obviously tile will require a perfectly flat subsurface, stacked stone will not require the service to be completely flat because the stones themselves are slightly irregular. If you decide to go with stucco how flat it needs to be would be dependent on the type of stucco look you want.
In order of difficulty, a rustic stucco look would be the easiest, stacked stone next anti-would certainly be the hardest for many reasons.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #10

stone fireplace

Adhered veneer (either tile or faux stone) can be considered to be the finish coat of a stucco system. As such, the brown coat (or surface that is equivalent, like your fireplace) only needs to be smooth enough to allow you to adhere the finish to the degree of flatness you want. For a faux stack stone, you can probably adhere it directly to the existing surface, for tile you would want to float it out level +/- 1/4"
Old 03-24-2014, 05:47 AM   #11

stone fireplace

might try elitecrete.com, concretelocator.com, or concretenetwork.com for ideas/technique/finished look. you can apply concrete overlay then finish as you wish,,, or not,,, we usually use mechanically attached expanded wire mesh sheets 1st.

no $ int - irc

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote