Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

steel decking under concrete floor rusting

I have a basement under my garage floor. appears garage concrete was not sealed and road salt got through to rust the steel decking under the concrete.

the concrete is 8 inches thick. do I have to replace the steel decking?

I know I now need to seal the garage floor with something. the garage floor concrete is also spalling.

Lbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

What do you mean by steel drcking, and how did you find out that it was rusting in the first place? Is this garage floor over a crawl space or basement space?

Doubt road salt did it, most likely from moisture in the space below, or from sitting directly on soil, if no crawl or basement under the garage.

Now of course pictures can speak a thousand words and come in handy for situations like this, so the rest of us can see what the heck you are talking about.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

BTW, you cannot just replace the steel deking, without tearing up the floor.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I did mention that I had a basement under the garage floor. so in the basement I can see the steel decking holding up the concrete of the garage above.

the steel decking is rusted pretty bad so I don't know what to do. you say I can not remove the decking. so do I put rust proofing on what is left and hope the rebar holds the concrete and weight of the car above?
Lbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

There is no magical miracle out there to fix this.

All you can do is talk to a structural Engineer. Id they fig. the structral integrety is compromized due to the steel deck can no longer hold any weight, they can have the city condemn the structure as unsafe, so be careful.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,122

If you are in a cold climate, you can expect road drippings, snow melt and possibly get to get into the cracks, so the concrete in the slab is probably "toast".

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 07-17-2013 at 06:33 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbob View Post
I have a basement under my garage floor. appears garage concrete was not sealed and road salt got through to rust the steel decking under the concrete.

the concrete is 8 inches thick. do I have to replace the steel decking?

I know I now need to seal the garage floor with something. the garage floor concrete is also spalling.

Can you post a picture of the decking,most decks are poured with steel pans,but they are usually removed after concrete has cured.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Get an engineer in there, there might be enough rebar and steel beams but no one here can tell you that.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,360

they're probably stay-in-place forms ( galvanized is the norm ) & they will eventually rust either from moisture below OR thru the conc,,, the good news is they add nothing structurally to the weight carrying ability of the conc,,, the bad news is they look like **** now,,, they are ONLY to allow workers some place to step whilst they tie rebar then they hold the wet conc til its cured,,, the forms are supported by a system of temp columns & spreaders,,, many times they're removed but often not as you've discovered - that's my best guess

asking this question w/o pictures is like asking obama,,,,,, ( nope, no polital stuff ) this is a limited response 'cause no one knows where the heck you live so don't expect too much from us

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-17-2013)