Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Share |

Is this spalling/scaling?

Hi!

We just had some concrete poured for our sidewalks and driveway about 5 to 6 months ago. Now that it's warming up outside, I was walking on our sidewalk and noticed the following...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was wondering if somebody can confirm (or deny) if this is spalling/scaling, if it will get any worse, and if it is something, what can be done about it. Is it easily fixable, or do they have to rip the concrete out and redo it?

There's certain areas that are like this, but my concern is that it will get worse over the years. I want to make sure it's fixed correctly if it is a problem, just so that it won't be a reoccurring one.

Thanks!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

The concrete appears to have a finish on it. Can you tell us exactly how the concrete was finished, or was it perhaps painted? I am curious if it looked this way when it was completed, or did it get this way over the winter? By the way, where are you located, weather has a lot to do with how concrete behaves over the long term.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

Thank you for the response.

I'm not sure if it has a finish on it. We just built our house and we ordered a concrete driveway and sidewalk, so whatever the builder did is what was done. I can tell you that there's about a 4" smooth border around the edges, then the broom marks for the middle parts. I never sealed it, never painted it, and never salted it. I also made sure I kept the snow off of it when it did snow.

I'm also not 100% sure that this is what it looked like a few months ago. I don't *think* it was, but not really sure. I do know that around all the edges is smooth.

I'm also located around Chicago. It didn't snow much this year, and it really didn't ice. As mentioned above, I know salt (or any variation of ice melting products) are pretty much a no-no, so I didn't use any of it. I also made sure the snow was off the cement over the winter because I know the freeze/thaw could damage it as well, especially when it's new.

Thanks again for any assistance!!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

The finish is what's commonly called "picture-framing" or a "California Edge", along with a bunch of other loose trade names. The slab is simply broomed like normal, and the edge & joints are chased back through with the respective tools to "smooth" them to offer contrast to the finish. Fairly common, easy concrete finish.

From the pics, it actually looks like it could possibly be damage from a pressure washer, any chance of that??

IMO, it does look like it was finished when the concrete was fairly wet, and it probably had excess water at the surface, which can lead to longevity issues with the surface. Is this issue spread out or more concentrated?
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

Thanks again for the information.

A pressure washer was never used on the concrete.

I haven't really analyzed the entire pour just yet, but it does seem to be concentrated on the sidewalk that leads from the driveway to the front door stoop. From what I've seen of the driveway, it doesn't really look like it was going on there.

What is going on with the driveway is that some areas have 'chipped' where the joints are. It's like maybe a small section (3" long by 1" wide and maybe 1/8") of concrete has chipped off. It's only like two sections or so, but that's about it. It looks nothing like the sidewalk does, and the chipping didn't happen with the sidewalk.

You mentioned that it may have longevity issues with the surface. Is there anything that I can do to prevent this from happening? Should I expect this to happen elsewhere from the same pour, for example, the driveway?

thanks!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

In my own professional experience, I'd say the majority of the concrete defects, whether it be spalling, delamination, chert pops, etc.... , occur in the first two years, winters really. As for combating future surface issues I'd highly recommend a solvent based siloxane sealer this summer. I'm certainly not a big fan of "snake oil remedies", and I was certainly apprehensive of the claimed success of the siloxane sealers, but now I can admit first hand that they do an outstanding job of protecting marginal concrete jobs. The down side is that they aren't cheap, not as readily available, and need to be re-applied through the years.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #7

Was the concrete placed in the winter? It could have partially frozen before it was completely cured.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #8

I have this exact same issue! I have these "scaling" patching in a couple of spots (measuring approx. 4" in radius) on my newly poured walkway (from driveway to front door). The walkway was poured about 4 weeks ago, and I don't know if it's just a cosmetic thing or will prove to be an issue down the road. Perhaps it's a common issue? Would certainly like someone who is familiar with the matter to chime in. By the way, I live in the deep south, so no "freeze and thaw" weather. Also, that smooth finish is not a painted or overlay but rather just the work of a really steady hand with a trowel. Thanks in advance.
segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.... Those look like Shovel marks to me...

from scrapin' the snow, 'n ice away...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Those look like Shovel marks to me...

from scrapin' the snow, 'n ice away...
Well, my sidewalk was just poured a month ago and I live in the South were we don't get snow so it isn't a shovel scraping against it. Unless something else scraped it, but maybe it's just an imperfection due to bad refinishing?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by segal View Post
Well, my sidewalk was just poured a month ago and I live in the South were we don't get snow so it isn't a shovel scraping against it. Unless something else scraped it, but maybe it's just an imperfection due to bad refinishing?
We can all make un-educated guesses, which are worth diddley-squat, or you could make the small effort to take a few pictures & post them here..........
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
We can all make un-educated guesses, which are worth diddley-squat, or you could make the small effort to take a few pictures & post them here..........
My camera is lost at sea at the moment, and the only the reason I posted here is because the original poster of this thread has the exact same situation, with pictures nonetheless, so I figured I'd bump this thread to get answers for myself as well.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #13

It is not spalling, though it may be scaling. It looks to have been finished wet and worked a little too long; too much paste at the surface. It is merely a surface blemish, but may continue to scale off.
segal (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It is not spalling, though it may be scaling. It looks to have been finished wet and worked a little too long; too much paste at the surface. It is merely a surface blemish, but may continue to scale off.
Now that's the answer I am looking for Anything I can do to avoid the possibility of further scaling? Or should I just not worry about it as perhaps it's only a blemish?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Or should I just not worry about it as perhaps it's only a blemish?
Ayuh,.... It's just gainin' Personality,....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
segal (04-14-2012)

Tags
concrete, scaling, spalling