Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Spalding brick

Is there any solution to repair spalding brick other than to cut them out and replace ?

Arky

Arky217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 108

Spalding brick

Need some pictures and more details.
Is it a chimmney, walkway, walls?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

Spalding brick

It's the first 2 feet high of a section of wall that has a concrete sidewalk butting up to it.
It's caused, I assume, by the backsplash of water from the sidewalk.
There is no spalding where there is no sidewalk next to the brick.
I am fixing the water problem by installing gutters and hopefully that will stop future spalding, but what to do about the existing spalding, I do not know.
The brick is about 40 years old and does not have a plain flat surface, but has a random splotchy design stucco like coating on the surface.

As far as cutting out the bricks and replacing them, I have not been able to find any brick that even comes close to the look of the existing brick.

Some of the brick has flaked off as much as 1/2".
The area affected covers about 8 or 10 square feet.

Someone suggested painting all the brick, but I'm afraid that might introduce other problems such as the paint peeling off, etc., not to mention it would probably give it a rather plain, maybe even ugly look.

Just not sure what to do about it.

Arky
Arky217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

Spalding brick

The decay to the brickwork will most likely be caused by dampness behind (ie from the earth retained) rather than splashing from the adjacent paving.
If they are clay bricks, the mechanism of damage could be absorbed water feezing in the winter and the ice expanding and forcing the face off the brick. Alternatively it can be damaged caused by crystalizing salts, again drawn by damp behind the wall.
It is likely that the original bricks were not of suitable quality for that degree of exposure. If you replaced the damaged bricks with suitable new, they would of course stand out.
The ultimate solution would be to re-build if you want a good=looking job.
Do not paint it;all that happens then is that the paint helps to keep the damp in (ie the water can't evaporate as easily) and it only hastens the decay of the brickwork.
(Incidentally, the term is "spalling").

Last edited by tony.g; 06-29-2012 at 01:55 PM.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Spalding brick

With some bricks you can cut them out and turn them round to use the other face.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #6

Spalding brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
With some bricks you can cut them out and turn them round to use the other face.
Shiner side would prob match better than new bricks. Good luck cutting them out and not breaking them, especially is they have already spalled

TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote