Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Smoothing out badly fixed concrete cracks - floor

The floor in my basement is concrete. It's been carpeted for decades, but recently we decided to get rid of the carpet have a painted concrete finish instead.

The concrete has a few cracks though and they have been shoddily patched, so there are 2-3 inch thick, rough, slightly raised veins crisscrossing the floor that have been re-cracked. We obviously don't want to just paint over these.

How do I get rid of this old patch job so I'll be left with a smooth surface? The majority of the concrete is smooth so I would prefer to just sand? down the patches on the cracks.
It seems like it should be an easy job, but I don't know what tools I should use for the best results.

Any advice is appreciated.

miggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs View Post
The floor in my basement is concrete. It's been carpeted for decades, but recently we decided to get rid of the carpet have a painted concrete finish instead.

The concrete has a few cracks though and they have been shoddily patched, so there are 2-3 inch thick, rough, slightly raised veins crisscrossing the floor that have been re-cracked. We obviously don't want to just paint over these.

How do I get rid of this old patch job so I'll be left with a smooth surface? The majority of the concrete is smooth so I would prefer to just sand? down the patches on the cracks.
It seems like it should be an easy job, but I don't know what tools I should use for the best results.

Any advice is appreciated.

A picture would be a big help!

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 500

the job im on they are coating all the concrete with an epoxy paint. Im not sure what the products they use, because im just around it, and not involved

1)Grind down all high spots with a cupped diamond grinding disc on an angle grinder
2)Coat the floor in some kind of clear bonding agent. It smells like polyester fiberglass resin, i have no idea what it really is. They let it dry overnight
3)Coat any cracks with some sort of white cream and a sheet rockers mudding knife. It looks like vinyl spackle, but i guarentee thats not what it actually is
4)sand the floor with a big flooring sanding
5)coat with epoxy paint, thick coats
6)repeat steps 3-5 for a total of 3 coats

i have no idea what products they use but thats the steps they take. They start out with some fairly rough concrete and it turns out like glass. The cracks they fill aren't wide (razor blade width) if you had some wide cracks i would probably knock anything loose and fill with some non expanding grout. Im not a concrete guy though. Just passing on what ive seen
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote