Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

SLIPPERY when wet! Ceramic tile on porch.

Hello- We just purchased a home with ceramic tile on the front porch... something I dont think Id ever put on a porch! It is SO SLIPPERY when wet. Im sure eventually we'll tear it out, but for the next year or so Id like a "quick fix" to avoid accidents. (This tile looks just like basic Home Depot floor tiles. Not super shiny, just that regular old 89 cent for 12X12 stuff.)

Question: Would Behr Concrete Cleaner and Etcher do anything? I bought a gallon for my driveway but decided against that project.

Also thought about about Rustoleum's deck and concrete restore.... but since its ceramic Im not sure it would work.

Help or advice appreciated!
Thank you.

Last edited by Teres; 07-26-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Teres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teres View Post
Hello- We just purchased a home with ceramic tile on the front porch... something I dont think Id ever put on a porch! It is SO SLIPPERY when wet. Im sure eventually we'll tear it out, but for the next year or so Id like a "quick fix" to avoid accidents. (This tile looks just like basic Home Depot floor tiles. Not super shiny, just that regular old 89 cent for 12X12 stuff.)

Question: Would Behr Concrete Cleaner and Etcher do anything? I bought a gallon for my driveway but decided against that project.

Also thought about about Rustoleum's deck and concrete restore.... but since its ceramic Im not sure it would work.

Help or advice appreciated!
Thank you.
how about just a rubber backed rug for temp fix ben sr

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,968

Why not just apply Johnny Grip and not have to replace the tile?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

Its too big for a rug. Its a nice HUGE porch... except for that tile.
Johnny Grip? I just saw a webpage for that tonight. Have you used it? Does it basically just "rough up" the surface permanently?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 510

As a quick fix you could paint the porch with a Porch and Floor paint and add anti-slip additive to the paint. At any paint store you can buy these non-slip additives that is basically sand to mix with the paint.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

If the tiles are porous (no glaze on top), you likely have bacteria growing in the wet pores and making a "slime" that is very slippery when wet. I have seen that before.

A logical solution is to wait for it to dry enough to apply a nonskid (it will likely be called "slip-resistant", as paint manufacturers nowadays are fearful of lawyers) coating to your tile surface. Another logical solution is to apply something that will soak into the porosity of the tiles, kill the bacteria and prevent their recurring growth. Your local store or someone on this forum might have something they could recommend...but at least you may have a better understanding of what's causing the slippery situation.
Pro Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Use Johnny Grip. What's the problem? It is "adjustable" in the amount of grip - you choose by timing the application - and it's super easy.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Use Johnny Grip. What's the problem? It is "adjustable" in the amount of grip - you choose by timing the application - and it's super easy.
It does have the advantage that it is represented to not change the appearance, as near as I can tell. So, try it; see how effective it is and how long it lasts.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Painter View Post
It does have the advantage that it is represented to not change the appearance, as near as I can tell. So, try it; see how effective it is and how long it lasts.
Sounds like Johnny Grip is the way to go.
Ill order it!
Thanks all!!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,134

how can anyone advise when we know not where your ' WHERE ' is ?

either apply a coating containing ' shark's grip ' ( avail @ sher-wms ) OR lightly acid-etch the surface ( McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's kitchens )

this is not easily accomplished work so you may want to reconsider it as a diy project,,, retiling is expensive - altho as i read your op, IF you had your ' druthers ', it wouldn't be tile,,, btw, tile is not the best choice for exterior surfaces even here in atl,,, its slippery @ best & freezing wtr loosens it over the years,,, + the grout's a pita to keep clean w/o lots of maintenance every yr,,, but you either know that or will soon discover it

we've used & recommend ' intellaLoc ' - no financial interest other than that
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #11

Where=Southern Idaho. Hot. Cold. Wet. Icy. You name it.
Johnny Grip didnt do much at all Still slippery as ever.
Hubby will try another coat tomorrow..... we'll see I guess.

IMO Tile is the dumbest thing ever to put on a front porch. UG! Well.... that fake grass is pretty bad too, but at least you wouldnt slip on your rear.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Didnt work
Old 08-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,134

wouldn't be surprised if someone took the easiest & cheapest solution 1st,,, that's us - h/o's anyone mind explaining what ' johnny grip ' is, where to buy it, how it differs from ' sharks grip ' ? ? ? most tile is too dense therefore no coating will satisfactorily adhere - if its not that dense, its usually not slippery

http://www.slipfreesystems.com/acid.htm - you can buy the right stuff here [ no financial interest ]
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #14

I believe the tiles to be the low-cost orangish "mexican pavers" or saltillo tiles"; they are soft, scratch easily and are relatively physically weak; they sell for a buck a square-foot and are about thirty percent air, basically a fired clay product with no glaze.