Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

Share |

Slab Foundation Problems?

I'm pretty sure I do but I'm in denial. Bought my wonderful home 3 years ago as a foreclosure so we didn't get any disclosures or history about the home. We are located in Rocklin, CA which is outside of Sacramento (N. CA). It's a ranch style home and its about 30 years old. Interior we have cracks in the drywall, sticking doors depending on the time of the year, some cracking grout on floor tile although its only in one specific spot and minor separation of brick fire place from the drywall. Exterior we have cracks in our brick which only goes about 1/3 of the way up the home the rest is cement board and separating at the joints on the cement board. I have attached pictures for your viewing pleasure! Is my next step to call a Structural Engineer? Thank in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Slab Foundation Problems?-124.jpg   Slab Foundation Problems?-125.jpg   Slab Foundation Problems?-128.jpg   Slab Foundation Problems?-129.jpg   Slab Foundation Problems?-130.jpg  

Slab Foundation Problems?-131.jpg  

ace1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Yes.... I would get a structural eng.....and/or any competant GC builder friends to preliminarily assess the issue. That appears beyond some nominal drywall stress cracking.

Just as an additional idea.... depending on whether you live in a production built subdivision, I would start inquirying of neighbors etc, for similar problems associated with either your soild in the area and/or builders in the subdivision.

Also, check with your local County building department and permitting office.... you can discover a little history on the builder etc... that may give you clues to the issues.

Are you SOG (slab on grade) (post-stressed) and determine if your foundation is similar to other homes in the area... distressed/or/fine.

You might also check title and attempt to understand if the foreclsure was prompted on former owners in-ability to pay, or whether their was any litigation with a builder/prior owner etc.

Being 30 years old, and apparently those issues are just surfacing in last 3 years, and it is unlikely that they were disguised previously in a foreclosure sale, perhaps its not an endemic issue of the area, and maybe some pipe breakage and wash out under the foundation or othyer type localized issue.

Good luck

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 07-09-2014 at 10:57 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #3

The symptoms your house is experiencing is common in 1) clay soils during drought, 2) clay soils and drought when builder's sand wasn't incorporated and compaction not inspected by an engineer, 3) possible earth quake damage?
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #4

We noticed the problems when we bought the house so they just haven't appeared. Our home inspector wrote it off as "normal settling."
Old 07-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #5

We don't live in an earthquake zone, too far east. I believe we do have clay soils.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1001 View Post
We noticed the problems when we bought the house so they just haven't appeared. Our home inspector wrote it off as "normal settling."
OH... That's good.....Is it, has it, gotten worse..... may just be settling repairs... resetting some doors etc

(Your original post made me somehow think this was continuing or something new to you.)

Best
Old 07-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #7

It has not gotten worse. So maybe just settling repairs?

Tags
foundation, foundation repair, slab, structural